MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

My herbal BOB chapter one

5th graders mama

***The information contained in this post is for educational purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.***

There are few human experiences I dislike more than vomiting. Other than if you are a victim of an eating disorder I suspect you will agree with me. If you do suffer from an eating disorder please seek help now, you are the victim of a seriously debilitating disease.

So, TSHF or TEOTWAWKI has happened, take your pick. A member of your household is ill and vomiting. The drugstores are closed, the doctor cut and ran when the electricity was out for the 10th day.. you are on your own. What do you need to know?

Vomiting can be a significant contributor to dehydration, along with diarrhea, blood loss, shock and hypothermia. Survivalists are acutely aware of not letting ourselves work too hard or too long without consuming adequate water, especially when it is hot, right?

What herbs should I have on hand? My focus will generally be on herbs that will grow in North America, so that you would have a long term chance of finding the answer to your need. There certainly are globally available herbs that may perform better, but I will not assume that the health food store is open, or I haven’t already depleted my supply. For those in the UK, I know this particular plant will grow there, perhaps even better here, I saw a lawn in Hull (of all places) that was more chamomile than grass!

Roman Chamomile would be my first pick. Lobelia might be more effective, but if the novice or panic stricken hand over doses the patient it will actually make the vomiting significantly worse.

So, anthemis nobilis, ROMAN chamomile. This is a long growing perennial that rarely tops 9 inches in height. You will need a nice group of plants. If you see one at the nursery with double flowers snap it up – it is medicinally the best to buy. Chamomile is notorious for escaping cultivation every chance it gets, how wonderful for us since it’s seeds are so robust we may find them growing 40 feet away from the parent plants!

A general rule of thumb with any herb harvesting is, when harvesting blossoms, do so before they fully open and certainly before they open so far as to show pollen. I harvest mine as soon as the wispy green leave fold away from the pretty yellow center.

An infusion is best made from 1 part dry blossom to 4 parts water. If this is a new concept to you it is very simple 1 part might be a cup, for example, therefore 4 parts would be 4 cups. If 1 part equals a tablespoon, 4 parts equals 4 tablespoons. 1 part is ¼ Cup… 4 parts is? That’s right, 4 ¼’s of a cup or 1 cup.

A side note here, many people make their infusions with boiling water. Please don’t do this. Water boiling at 212 degrees poured over your lovely dried plant material is immediately going to heat-destroy some of your benefits. I boil my water, cool it 5 minutes and then pour it over my material.

German chamomile is a terrific plant as well, but Roman has the advantage in this scenario of having the additional properties of being stomatic (improving digestion through strengthening digestive enzymes), anodymaic (pain relief), sedative (calming) and antispasmodic. These are all great side benefits when dealing with vomiting or dry heaves.

You can cultivate Roman Chamomile from seed, but since they will not grow “true” your result will most likely be the less-medicinal single flower plant. Besides, the seeds are so tiny I can’t see them anymore! Runners or root divisions are best. Both of these are simple. If you have only one plant use runners – I merely fold a stem down – gently! Don’t break it – hair pin it to the ground and place a brick on top of the stem. This time next year, ta da! A new plant. Rule of thumb is to not runner train more than 1/8th of your plant outside of a greenhouse. Root division has worked every time for me if you have the plants to spare.

Mother, Lois, anyone with additional thoughts please chime in!

A herbal infusion (tea) is made by pouring hot (not boiling) water over the herb and steeping for 10 min.

I have not made sun tea, isn't it made with cold water and leaving it in the sun for a long period of time?

I don't think your tea would be as strong or potent made in this way. Never tried it.

• 1 year later...

***The information contained in this post is for educational purposes only and is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice.***

(Good idea, that!)

This is from my personal notebook of favorites...

HERBS FOR NAUSEA / VOMITING (made into syrups, tinctures or teas) Not all herbs are suitable for everyone, and should be researched for dosage, contraindications, etc. before using.

CORIANDER SEED

GINGER ROOT

CINNAMON

CLOVES

NUTMEG

PERILLA LEAVES,SEEDS

LEMON BALM

PEPPERMINT

CATNIP

HOPS

RED RASPBERRY LEAVES

SAGE