MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Regular flu has just hit my family

kaseyb (Supermom!)

Our doctor said this is the first case he's seen in our area.

Saturday morning my sweet husband began feeling bad and being the trooper he is he just kept going. He's the kind who can get sick and no one around him will know it because he says very little. Sunday morning he had congestion and a bit of a cough, but he kept saying it was an allergy flareup. I asked if he felt sick and he said no. He said he just felt stopped up similar to allergy symptoms.

He called me from work today saying he was coming home early. By the time he got home he had a fever so I asked a family member to take him to the doctor because I was in the middle of another appointment. Anyway, he was diagnosed with the flu, either type A or B, they aren't sure which. He's feeling very bad right now running a fever close to 102 and looking very flushed. He's weak. Chills. He's saying he wishes he had gotten the flu shot. We've never gotten anything like that before.

The good news is that it's not Bird Flu of course so there is a silver lining in every cloud. But I feel so very badly for him. He was so good to me this past week giving me chocolates for Valentines and taking me out to special places. He is truly the love of my life and I hate seeing him suffer this way.

Anyway, I'd like to pepper you gals with some questions if you don't mind. If you have any suggestions, holler this way and I'll gladly accept your kindness.

I'm giving him plenty of liquids while he's getting bed rest. The doctor gave him Tamiflu which he will take for the next 5 days. He also gave Tamiflu to every other family member to take at first sign of symptoms. I've been reading that it's not all that effective, but I hope it will be in our case.

I have Sambucol and Curcumin in the cabinet. I need to review some threads here to see if I can give both of those with the Tamiflu to my husband.

The doctor prescribed Hydrocod/GG and Pseudovent - one helps with bronchial congestion and the other helps with head congestion.

I'll be fixing two soups and carrot juice, along with green tea - when I get a chance.

The doctor told my dh to let people who were around him today at work know he has the flu. He was around a lot of people at our church yesterday too. My whole family has been around a lot of people lately.

I'm wondering how long after exposure it takes for someone to get this flu. I'm also wondering for how long my dh will be contagious.

This is really helping me to think through what it would be like if someone in my family got the Bird Flu. Quarantine within the family would be just about impossible. My dh already touched a zillion objects within the home prior to our knowing he was sick - so we've already been exposed. The doctor told us all to watch our hands a lot - although honestly at this point, I'm not sure it will help all that much.

Has anyone else on the board had the flu in their family yet? I hope not.

Even though he has already touched a lot of things in your home, I would have the others help and clean all areas with disinfectant, wash hands often, make sure he has tissue and a basket to put used ones in (line it with a shopping bag so you can dispose of it easily) if you have a carafe keep cold water within his easy reach. (saves you extra trips) He has it but if you are already washing hands, you can avoid getting it also. Make up some paper towels that have been wet down with a water and bleach solution and put them in a zip lock bags for easy wiping down and disposal after handling what ever he handles. You may not have had enough exposure to get this, don't get if you can help it. All flu is dangerous, 30,000 people die from Flu every year.

This may not help you now, but in the future Colloidal Silver may well be a lifesaver. You can get a generator for about $30, and make as much as you need for mere pennies, or buy it in the health food store for about $16/oz. It's both anti-viral and anti-bacterial. You can have everyone carry their own spray bottle and spray their eyes/nose/ears continuously as well as take it orally to aid the immune system.

For your hubby, I recommend mass doses of raw garlic, cut in half and swallowed (can dip in olive oil to help it go down easier). Also, Oregano Oil is helpful. 1-3 drops in a shot of apple juice. A lot of Vit C too, until bowel tolerance is reached.

Plenty of fluids (fresh juices,water, teas with honey or pure maple syrup), and not much food so as not to tie up his system with digesting it- that way it can focus on fighting off the invaders.

All will help boost his immune system.

Hope this passes quickly!

Archived