MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Weed Garden

brightblessings5

DM always says, 'Weeds are just plants that we don't know what to do with yet.'

I call my herb garden my WEED garden. Right now I don't have a 'weed garden'.

So I've got that pretty much figured out. But I want to add something new to my 'weeds'. I want.....VALERIAN! Now-I've heard that some herbs (perenial) do not grow true from seed.

Q #1--DOES VALERIAN GROW TRUE FROM SEED?

I've looked in all my seed catalogues and can't find plants. All they carry are seeds. Sooo...

Q #2--WHERE DO I FIND VALERIAN PLANTS?

I'm gonna try to do this one step at a time (I tend to remember things better by 'hands on') so later I'll ask about growing and harvesting.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Great questions. You may be better able to find plants under the common name "Heal All" since valerian has a wee bit of a bad rap in the herb world. If you see a plant labeled Garden Heliotrope, Valeriana Officinalis... that would be it.

The seeds do not germinate easily at all. You will have much better luck with a plant - then you can propagate using plant divisions. Valerian grows out of a "crown" of sorts, so you can dig the master plant up and break up the crown to make multiple offspring.

http://www.blossomfarm.com/

I found valerian plants.

Thought ya'll might like this link. I'm not real knowledgable on this subject, but it looks like a really cool place. If you check it out, could you let me know what you think of their prices and all. Their plant prices seem pretty reasonable-$4.50. I'm thinking I might order from them just to get the catalogue (otherwise it's $3). They don't ship til April, anyhow, so that gives me time to look around a little more.

Archived