MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Potty training help...

cartoongirl

If you have him in disposables, change to cloth. The disposables are too comfy when wet. Also, some 'big boy' pants might work. My sons loved their superhero underwear, and of course, we wouldn't want to mess it up! Using the bathroom like dad and perhaps target practicing on bits of paper (they actually sell targets for this purpose!) could help.

i had a chart in the bathroom, nothing too big, but everytime sapphire went on the potty she got a sticker. once the chart was full we would reward her with a toy, or a treat of her choosing. we called them "potty points" we also got a few books about potty training. "what to expect when uding the potty" and i really dont remember what the other one was called. charmin has free potty training kits if you just ask for one. it includes a magnet picture frame that sais "we're proud of you" and a sheet of stickers, a book, and an instruction poster with pictures of what to do (go, wipe, wash...etc.) there is a link to it in the pinching pennies forum, i will look for it and post it here.

Guest Guest

potty training..boys.. potty training boys... ROFL!!!!! do they ever get potty trained? as in actually hitting where they are aiming?

oh silly me.. this is a baby boy...

M&M's (plain) in a dish he can't reach in the bathroom.. a pain I know.. but, it gives instant reward not a reward he has to follow mommy into the kitchen to get.. their little minds have a hard time putting the two together unless it is right there! if you noticed, it won't change when they grow up either!

Put him on the toilet backwards, you know so he can is facing the back of the toilet seat.. sort of puts him in the right position to hit his target. If you are mean like me, I put the candy jar within view.. .. they knew what they needed to do to get that 2 M&M's! one for each hand. That was it! not handfulls as they are way too young for all that candy. If you get him a step stool he can be a "big boy" much emphisis on the BIG BOY for everything from now on.

"let's put on you big boy underware" and yes, Spiderman or Superman are great! "What a BIG BOY you are", "Daddy, Billy was such a BIG BOY today, he went potty on the Big Boy potty" and make sure daddy praises him.

I also would put him in big boy panties, but I would also have an idea about how often he wets his diapers.. think puppy potty training.. so you can catch him before he goes.

Wanna get them to pick up their toys? (or at least help mommy?) M&M's is the reward!

when they get older and you want them to make their beds.. a couple of M&M's in a little piece of foil or a Hershey's Kiss placed on their made bed, right on the pillow.

Once this has been established, you will need to hide the chocolate.

My boys still sit when they come home. It is the law.. girls sit, boys sit! or I use their tooth brushes to scrub the floor. Using both boys tooth brushes cause it was always... 'it wasn't me'.

have fun... I am glad my days for this are over!

I'm in the same boat! My son loves to aim his little thing at cheerios floating in the toilet! So I keep a bowl in there for him. The sticker thing works for us too. And I ALWAYS make DADDY take him in when he has to go. It looks so cute when Daddy is at the big potty and DS is at his little potty copying him. I'd take a picture if it wasn't inappropriate!

Hey Erica! I'm potty-training two boys so I can feel your pain, lol! Mine are almost 3, so don't fret! My oldest boy was so easy because once we clapped and praised him the first time he went he wanted to go all the time - he was potty-trained quite quickly even though we still had to use pull-ups at night for a while. My 5yo was a tough one. He was a little over 3 when he was finally "Potty-trained" but he still wanted the pull-ups. I tried everything, rewards with stickers, bribes of toys, etc. and he wouldn't budge, even though he stayed dry all day. Finally, two days after his 4th birthday he told me "I'm too old for these and I don't want them any more." So we took him to buy big boy underwear.

These last two are not cooperating very well. They will tell me they are wet or stinky, or go get a diaper for me to change them! That is a huge clue that they don't need diapers anymore. One twin will hide under the dining room table to go #2 and the other will hide in their closet. I'll sit them on the potty at their "usual" time to go and nothing will happen but within 5 minutes of putting a diaper back on they are ready for a change!

I read a great suggestion of using regular underwear, buy like 8-10 pairs, and let them wear them because they are really uncomfortable when wet and stinky and that would be a quick way. However, if you have carpet throughout most of your house I don't know if this is a great idea, unless you use the plastic diaper covers over them.

Patience and persistence! Boys bladder muscles take longer to develop than girls too. We don't let our 5 yo or the twins have anything to drink after 7:30, unless it's a sip of water. Even milk has sugar in it and it seems any time they drink anything with sugar in it you end up with an accident.

It's enough to drive anyone

sapphire was very stubborn about not going #2 on the toilet. #1 was fine, i never had to change wet diapers, only stinky ones. so, about a week after her 3rd birthday i got sick of it and i told her that she had to go on the potty. she refused. i waited untill i KNEW she HAD to go(it was easy to tell, she would squeak when pooping, instead of grunting heh heh ) so, i plopped her on the toilet and made her sit there untill she went. she screamed about it the whole time, but eventually she could not hold it in any longer. i think that some kids are just afraid to loose something that they feel is a part of them. once sapphire realized that it ws not the end of the world to poop on the potty, all was balanced in the force. heh heh make sure your kids understand where poo comes from, and that they are not loosing a part of themselves. it can be a reallly big deal sometimes. you know how kids get ideas in thier heads that they cant shake...like monsters under the bed and such.

LOL, got a few good chuckles out of your posts.

BOOKWORM, I don't know if I could handle "twins" hats off to you!!! Ds, does the same as your twins, hiding and all. I know he is ready. He is a stubborn boy. My first born was potty trained very early, the second not until he was close to 4, too late IMO. Don't want ds in diapers for another year and a half!

Love the cheerio idea, LOL. Westy, I am in with you giving only 2 m&m's but I know there will be trouble. Putting him on the potty backwards is an idea I haven't heard of before. I think he would feel much more secure sitting that way? Like the chocolate on the pillow idea as well.

All of you have given some good ideas. Thanks again.

well, I'm coming late to this party, but I feel your pain. Both my boys trained late (well after 3, and after 5 overnight) and the best thing I ever did was to just ignore it. I know it's hard, but they will train when they are physically and mentally ready. I figured that I spend all day cleaning poop of one kind or another, diapers were a drop in the bucket (sorry, bad pun)

Archived