MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sauerkraut for Immunity from Bird Flu

CathyP

I found this in The Well Being Journal

" Sauerkraut, or fermented cabbage, may provide such an immune system boost as to prevent any remote chance of even bird flu infecting a body. A report from the BBC Network said that scientist a Seoul National University in

South Korea fed an extract of kimchi, a spicy variant of sauerkraut, to 13 chickens infected with avian flu, and a week later 11 of the birds started to recover. ( "Is Sauerkraut a New Weapon Against Bird Flu ?," by Karen Herzog, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, November 7, 2005.)

This sounds good to me.But I'm wondering if it would cause cytokine storm or just not let the virus into your body.

I've read several things on this lately too. You have to realize that most of it is anecdotal though with no proof or at least with no provable studies or acceptible proof. One of the things I read said that an air conditioning manufacturer was making airconditioners with this product, purified, in a filter and that it was supposed to keep the air clear of the virus. This is not your typical sauerkraut either but a specialized type made for centuries.

It is so hard not to grasp at straws for the Bird Flu. The truth of the matter is that no one knows exactly what it will evolve into so no one knows what will and will not work. There is some report that the homeopathics Gelsemium and Bryonia were effective during the 1918 flu which was a similar type as this one could be, but again, no scientific studies for it.

It is the same with Vitamin C. It is said that the body is depleted of vitamin C during the cytokine storms and replacing it in high doses will help to fight the ravages that the storms can cause. Again, I can find no scientific studies connected with this. I wish there was more that we could say about treating this but until we find out exactly where it is going, we just won't know any more than the researchers themselves will. The best I can suggest is to do what I am doing, and that is to stock all of those things that might have a possibility of helping to have on hand what you might need. I stock vitamin C, E, A and other vitamins and minerals, various herbs for the symptoms that might have to be treated including elderberry (even though that is very iffy), a broad range of homeopathics and most articles I might need to handle illnesses like gloves, masks and etc. I also have stocked a few over the counter products like guafenisen and cough and cold remedies.

Perhaps others will have suggestions to add to mine. Mamacat, Lois, Mare? Anyone?

I knew that sauerkraut is high in vit. C and was used to prevent scurvy on long sea voyages, and that I love good home-made saurkraut. Here is some more info from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerkraut

Raw sauerkraut is an extremely healthy food. It is an excellent source of Vitamin C, lactobacilli (even more than yogurt), and other nutrients. However, the overabundance of lactobacilli can easily upset the stomach of people who are not used to eating raw sauerkraut. Sauerkraut provided a vital source for these nutrients during the winter, especially before freezing and importation of foods from southern countries became generally available in northern and central Europe. Captain James Cook always took a store of sauerkraut on his sea voyages, since experience had taught him that it was an effective remedy against scurvy. There is some evidence [1] that indicates that Kimchi and by extension sauerkraut may be used to treat avian influenza in birds. There is currently no evidence of its effects on humans.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Because it is so good for you it will probably improve your overall health.

ok, I've read this on a couple of posts, and I am confused.. Is it the kimchi that is beneficial, or any sauerkraut? Like plain 'ole Delmonte or other kind you can buy in the store? Is kimchi a type of sauerkraut or a spice? where would you buy kimchi in the US?

Archived