MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do with strawberries

I am going to pick strawberries at the local pick your own farm Tuesday. I know that I can make jams with them. I plan to freeze/vacuum seal some, and dehydrate/vacuum some. Does any one know any other way to save some back?

Ma Steel

Guest Guest

Well, since I just got done canning 200lbs of strawberries, I think I can remember what I did...

Mostly I made strawberry jam...yeah the freezer jam keeps it a little different color but I'm looking more for long term/non-dependent jam...if I lose electricity then I have to utilize the freezer contents...

Another thing you can do that westie suggested to me, is just can the strawberries whole in a syrup...you can then use them later in muffins and breads and pies and as toppers, etc. They lose some of their color but the taste is just fine.

Yaay! Have fun getting strawberries!

Last time I got them, I froze some, made jam, and also did what Darlene is talking about: I canned them plain. I did moosh mine up a bit when I canned them, but I have been able to use them for sauce, ice cream, fruit leather, etc. I actually think I may just can all of mine this year as I thought they tasted fine and don't take up freezer room!!

Have fun!

Shawna

Guest Guest

If color is *really* important, you could try *just a bit* of red food coloring.

I prefer the fewest amount of additives as possible. And it could always be added after opening for special presentations.

Archived