MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Guest Guest

I just bought a commercial grade can opener, one you bolt to the table or counter. I got it on ebay for $60 it is an Edlund #1 can opener.

Guest Guest

My electric can opener just bit the dust, so I've been using my simple one.

I once swore can electric openers were foolish and unnecessary, but I was later given one as a gift and used it because I couldn't return it.

Now that I'm older and the body doesn't do things as well as I'd hoped, my hand cramps and I'm in pain when I open more than 2.

Guest Guest

I didn't say I had a place to put it (when that very hot place feezes over here too!), but I have it when I might need it! like Flu!

Honestly, I having a heck of a time with my tomaotes... it is still dropping in the low 40's at night. So I plan on purchasing the #10 cans of tomato sauce and making my own sauces this year. I hate doing it but I have already lost 30 plants and the other 30 aren't looking so good.

I will need a can opener that is easy to use. Like you, my hands aren't so good anymore and I don't own an electric only manual ones. I wish I could try them at the store before I buy one because I get one home and it doesn't work right.. you know what I mean?

crank, slip, re-adjust, crank, crank, slip.. re-adjust! and the lid has this little connected places all around!

I buy another the same.. maybe after taking 10 back, I finally get one that actually works! and they aren't cheap either. I just don't open that many cans to need an electric but when I do open one.. I want it to open.

I looked at the one in the link above, it cuts the can right under the lip. Looks good but, honestly.. I would never use one... if I could ever get to work.

Guest Guest

Interesting what comes back on the market. We bit, uhh, er, bought one of the manual ones a few years back at the county fair. It does cut from the side, and the lid does fit back on, but ultimately we liked the way cans were when the lid was cut off the regular way. When this one cuts off the lid, the top of the can is without the rim. It is not strong, and we sometimes reused the cans. Without that rim, the can was weak.

No matter if you are throwing it away or recycling, but I like to use my coffee cans for other things (paint, etc.), and without the rim was not nice to handle and the plastic lid would not stay on correctly. We are not heavy into can use, so my other can opener is just fine for now. I will probably get an electric one when my hands don't work so well. FWIW, that was our experience. YMMV

I gotta say that most of the stuff "as seen on tv" isn't worth it. Sometime the infomercials are (I just got a Ronco Food Dehyrator for $30 on his infomercial) but most of the 2 min "as seen on tv" stuff isn't.. Most malls have a store called "as seen on tv" and you can buy it there and possibly try it out. I am all for the can openers that don't leave an edge. I had a hand held one from black n decker or OXO I bought for about $10 and it's so worth it. I used to work in a place that sold a lot of "as seen on tv" things and you bet I tried them (the flat hose, Nads (hair removal) and the funnel cake maker) and all of them broke or didn't work .. at all.

Just be prepared to return these items. Usually you have to pay the shipping to and from you which arn't replaced.

Amanda

To amber:

There are ones like I mentioned in my prev post that do cut along the sides and cut through the metal leaving half of it on keeping the can strong. I've heard of the ones that cut it completly off. I don't know why a company would do that. The handheld one I have cuts through the metal and I can refit the lid back on. I still have my old fashioned one for things I might want to use the lid to help drain (like tuna).

• 2 weeks later...
Quote:
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/advan...nopener/193900/

Saw it on TV. The phone # on the commercial is 800-396-0936. Anyone ever seen anything like this? Wondering how durable it is.

My SMIL has one. Don't know where she bought it or if it's the exact one you are talking about, but it's like the one advertised on TV. She loves it.

Here's the scoop on the one my SMIL bought: It's a Black & Decker. Not the hand held one but the one that fits under the counter and can be removed from the fixture and used as a hand held. I don't own one, so that's all I know about it.

Archived