MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Chicken, string and a net...

Guest Guest

I'm going to have to agree with Ed. Our oaks trees have the biggest acorns on them. Last year they were puny and we had a mild winter. So this one will be a wopper. Got all my snowblowers ready. And the wood piled high at the cabin. Get ready everyone. di

------------------

diinmi.jpg

Ed, when does crab season start out there, and end? Interesting. On the west coast, crab season doesn't begin until the first week of December. Maybe this is just for commercial crabbing? We went out on opening day, 2 years ago, and someone had emptied all the traps in the night....ewwww...bad news...you don't mess with a fisherman's traps.

BLUE CRAB 4 1/8" shell width (spine to spine) egg bearers cannot be taken; 50 crabs/day; no pots; closed season is 1/1 - 4/30, inclusive

OTHER EDIBLE CRABS(excludes green crabs) none same as for blue crab

from ma law marine site!

------------------

edandpeg.gif

ROTFLMAO!

You tie bait(chicken leg..raw or cooked..or a dead fish..like mackerel or a pogie, menhaden) to a string..go to tidal flat where there is a wash between salt and fresh water(brackish)..throw in bait...wait till tug on line...slowly pull in..get net..place in back of said subject..scoop out crab!..repeat until you have supper!..warning!...these crabs bite hard!..ask Peg smile.gif..Hey Beb!..come down here with your hubby one day..I'll catch some for you guys! You live 45 mins. from me...different world! Peg and I don't bite!

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Thanks ED and Peg.....sounds tempting!

If the old guy gets any time off (he's working 7 days a week)....then we shall see.

Seeing He's allergic to shellfish...and i'm not a big fan....i guess we'll have to take those puppies home....keep em in the bath tub and feed em chicken.....

How's Dad today?

beb

------------------

DebbieLee.jpg?bcq4dr9AXqlYY9DM

Your making me hungry Ed... I can go for a mess of crab legs right now or some crab cakes.

Our property is split between the city and town so our home is located on a mountain in the city but the bulk of our land is in the town- 2x the taxes, not fair but thats the way it worked....anyway there are alot of signs up on the upper fields but not alot yet in the lower section that its going to be a hard winter. The deer are coming closer to the city and I spotted a black bear in the field last week, no doubt looking for food.

The deer are awful thin this year and that usually means a warmer winter for us not a hard winter. We will just have to wait and see what conspires.

I would love to see a few feet of snow right about now on our land.

More signs of a bad winter coming:

Clams are deep, low water this year, beagles are "putting on" heavy coats of fur, migratory fowl flying south early, trees turning color, small pine cones,..and yea!..one of my jeeps..got to fix 4WD!..and Peg is putting up canned goods??

------------------

edandpeg.gif

Ed, thanks for starting this thread. Without it, I would have thought I couldn't go crab fishing in Oregon next month. After your post, I did some research and found that only "ocean" crabbing has a season; "bay" crabbing is allowed all year long. So, here's hoping that I am successful, and bring a mess of Dungeness crab home. Now, are you going to oyster festival on the Cape over the 19th?

• 2 weeks later...

Getting cold here already Big Brother... "Freddie" out Big Brown Bear at work is working over time trying to find food in the trash dumpster... we are hauling it out with us at the end of the day to try to get him to leave. Canadian geese that live here year round are starting to migrate this year.. hmmmmmm

We are expecting our first Nor-easter tonight and tomorrow, thank heavens its not snow.... I told The Giant that I am going to get extra soups and parmalate milk and such in the house incase the winter is bad. Propane tank is filled and we can drag the grill in the house and cook on the side burner if we have to.

getting oil for the lamp on friday too and have candles stashed here somewhere.