MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Best brand of canner?

Nettie

Guest Guest

Welcome to the club!

We have so much good info here - based on personal experience - so I'll do a search on the best threads and make them "sticky" so they'll stay at the top for a while.

Feel free to ask any questions and we'll get right back to you!

Guest Guest

The general consensus of opinion has been that the All American canners are the best. A few reasons are that they have no rubber seal to contend with (no worries about replacing it), they are a weighted gauge canner (no need to have yearly checkups on gauges), the units themself are built like tanks, and will last for many generations to come.

I've had other brands of canners and I have 2 All Americans. Without a doubt, that is my first and only choice.

Do your research, look at all the different things they offer (really not much on canners, they tend to be fairly straight forward), ask questions and then you will be in a position to make a decision.

Welcome to the home canning world! You're gonna absolutely love it!

Guest Guest

All American hands down! for the same reasons Darlens mentioned.

Metal to Metal Seal and since I don't have an Extension office close by to check my gauge.. the weighted canner is perfect for me!

I have to agree with these ladies. I plan on buying an All American canner as soon as I can. Right now I own two Presto canners which I purchased used. Funds are low right now so I will work with what I have but if I get my way, I'll own an All American one of these days.

Thanks for the input. I can see how the metal to metal seal and no gauge to be calibrated would be important.

So, my next question, what size? It is just DH and me, and I will be using an electric range as long as there is electricity.

Guest Guest

Darlene has the Papa Canner (model 941) and I have the Mama Canner (model 930) I also have a baby canner that holds 5 quarts (similar to the All American but with a gauge).

I would purchase a model 921 that holds 7 quarts if I got to get another one. My Mama canner is heavy, I have to put it on a burner, then put water in it! I also have an electric stove and my 930 doesn't fit centered on the burner as my stove has a raised lip on each side. I use a single propane burner which works out great since I am usually canning outside and have a lot to do.

I do like having a smaller one that fits in my pots and pan cupboard.

I have the All American 925. It holds 7 quarts or ? pints (not sure if its 13 pints or less??). If it has water in it, its a little heavy for me (I place it on the stove, then add the water). I have a regular electric stove, and it fits. Course, I can't use the burner behind it, while this one is on the front burner. When I'm done processing, I turn the heat off and let it cool down on the burner. I love it.

Good luck!

The most recent canner I bought was a Mirro 22 quart. I know it's not the Cadillac of canners but it really works well. I couldn't afford another American but I wanted a large one. It does 7 quarts or 20 pints and I love the size. You DO NOT have to fill it but when you take out 20 pints at a time you really feel like you've accomplished something.

Guest Guest

This is my feeling about canners...

A canner is a canner is a canner. Some are bigger, some are smaller...some are weighted, some are dial...some are heavier, some are lighter...and in MHO some are made better than others.

But, the point is, if it processes your foods properly and you build up a stash of home canned products, THAT is all that matters.

I've used non-All American canners, and now only use All American. I was grateful for the stuff I canned with other canners, and I love the stuff I make today.

If you can put away a little money every month and save towards an All American, than go for it. If money is tight, and you get something else, AWESOME! The point is you are able to take your home cooked foods and preserve them for a long period of time.

Please don't feel outta sorts if you don't have the same canner as everyone else.

I'd LOVE to drive a Hummer, but I don't. I still have a car though and it gets me wherever I wanna go and accomplishes the important thing.

As far as what size to get, I will chime in with everyone else and agree with the cooking surface that you have, that a 7 quart canner would suit your needs perfect. In the All American line they have the 921 and 925...the only difference is that one holds more water than the other, but they both process the same amounts...7 quarts and 19 pints. That is more than enough I would think, to meet your needs. If it were me, I'd save the few extra bux and just get the 921. I have the 941 and the 910. I just can't decide whether to get another 941 or to get the 921 or 930 like westies.

Good luck.

Archived