MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Golden Harvest brand canning jars

arklatex

Has anyone heard of Golden Harvest canning jars? I am looking at an ad for our local discount store (one of them anyway) and they have this brand. They are cheaper than Wal-Mart by a dollar or more a case of jars. Pints are $5.99 and Quarts are $6.99.

I usually by Kerr or Ball jars but I thought I'd ask about these.

I don't want to skimp on quality so I hesitate to buy them. Please let me know if you've tried them or heard anything about them. I have a few more days on this sale.

Guest Guest

I made a post that isn't here, do you suppose I forgot to hit continue....good grief!

I bought 4 or 5 dozen boxes of Golden Harvest jars 2 or 3 years ago at Dollar General and they're great. I was a little leary too! Some of the flats that came with them kind of buckled in the pressure canner but they all sealed.

So go for it LS!

Guest Guest

OH!! Thanks, Dee... I forgot...

YES... I was NOT impressed with the flat lids that came with them. I think I had about 50% not seal.

I ended up using Ball lids and used the GH ones only for "dry storage" stuff, but now I have plastic ones.

So you might want to watch the lids and be sure they seal.

Cat

Thank you all for the replies. I knew I could count on your experience to guide me in the right direction. I just hate spending hard earned money on junk. It's good to know that they are made by the same company that makes Ball and Kerr.

I'll remember to buy extra lids for them.

Thanks again. I'm going to stock up on a few cases before this sale ends.

Guest Guest

I never complained, but maybe the got some complaints and changed or improved their sealant...?

It's been a while since I bought new cans.

Archived