MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Freezing corn

We just always blanch ours in boiling water for a minute or two, never really timed it. Then we put it in ice cold water to cool it off. Dry the ears and put them in our freezer bags and freeze. Tasted like fresh corn on the cob when we fixed it later on.

Guest Guest

years ago I was talking to a corn farmer. His wife said.. "honey, just freeze the corn with the husks on, afterall, it is God's packaging". The farmer's wife went on to say, "don't peel the husks back, see what others are doing, if the corn looks good, just feel the end to see if it is a fully developed".

I gave this some thought and at 10 ears for a $1.00, what did I have to loose if I froze a couple of ears. So I threw the corn in the freezer...husks and all! I pulled them out and let them thaw, shucked and boiled. Oh my goodness! it was as if they were fresh just picked ears!

Years later the microwave came out... I took my frozen corn out, husks on, and threw them in the microwave! oh my! how easy is that! I could shuck at the kitchen sink or serve for my family to shuck (extra bowl needed to husks) at the table.. or I could peel the husks back but not off and it was so pretty to serve that way!

Then I heard you can BBQ corn with husks on but you needed to soak them first so they didn't burn. Well, out of the freezer and into a sink of water... to the BBQ!

I ran into another sale.. 10 ears for $1.00. I bought 200 ears of corn! easy for my boys to eat 2 or 3 ears at once for a snack. Anyway, we ate corn on the cob for the season, into the winter and the next summer. Corn came back into season and didn't find any deals like that again but that was ok because I still had about 100 ears in the freezer. We ate corn through the summer and into the winter. My sons were 'in the Army now' and had more corn then the 3 of us could eat. So the Third year.. we ate corn all summer and again into the winter. So this 3 year old corn was now starting to loose its flavor. Not that is was bad but just a little bland.

I was impressed! 3 years! in my chest freezer with husks on.

and I save on not having to spend money on plastic bags or foil to freeze them in.

If I was buying 300 pounds to can and I couldn't do it all in a day, I would certainly consider freezing it. This way I could take out only as much as I could can in that day.

Give it a try!

Wow Thanks!!! Now I am anxious to try your suggestions!!! LOL!!

West: You don't even put the corn in a bag??? Just pop the whole darn thing in the freezer??

I wondered if you could get away without blanching....I cut my blanching time considerably the last time I froze corn, but it still was a mess when I cooked it. Glad to know I DON'T have to blanch(at all!). Saves some work too!! Woohoo!!!

Thanks! I knew you ladies would be able to help

Shawna

Guest Guest

sure if you don't want to chase around loose ears!!! but when I brought the corn home in paper bags (don't like plastic) I just made room and set the bag in! I was able to do some shuffling around and get more in the bag once I got home so I didn't have 10 bags... but honest..

just go buy a couple ears of corn.. stick in the freezer. Come Sunday dinner.. get them out.. pop them in the microwave (husk and all) cook them about 5-7 minutes, turn over and cook another few minutes.. depending on your microwave of course... the first couple of times you will have to start and check until you figure it out for your MW. To defrost.. drop in a sink of water! maybe even drop of the Barbie with a steak or two! baked potato washed wrapped in foil and set on the Barbie with lid on about 35 minutes before you put the corn on.. about 5 minutes turn... put steaks on.. wella! dinner outside and ya didn't have to heat your kitchen!

Archived