MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

People are talking

HapyGirl

As I was dropping off my son at the Y, I overheard 3 gentlemen outside talking about prepping for a possible pandemic. I only heard a few sentances, thought about stopping and giving them some website infor, but I didn't want to make them self conscious so I just kept walking. I thought it was really great to see them talking openly in a public place, as if it was as usual as talking about the latest sports game.

We were at our farm store yesterday and the guy in the paint department was talking with us about what we were using the paint for. When we told him to paint pantry shelves so that I could fill them up. He said with the bird flu pandemic threat it was a good idea for everyone to stock up and to stock up well...DH and I looked at each other and then actually laughed... Then told him how we felt about it...Had a good long chat and found that there were quite a few people he knew who were prepping for it. It seems that there is a lot more of it out there than we think it's just that everyone is waiting for the next guy to bring it up...

I, for one, am not afraid to look stupid or strange to people...I care very little for what they think of me or my ideas...If they don't want to listen, at least I've done my part to try to help as many people as I can. I tell it in a reasonable tone of voice, usually by asking them what their views are on it first, state only facts that anyone can look up, not fears. Give them the .gov web site info and of course Mrs. S if they want more. I plant the seed of doubt at least. I can't tell you the number of people who I've talked to about it who want more info, even going so far as to write it down. Plese don't be afraid to get a conversation going with people. If you find they are being difficult about it, then at least calmly voice your opinion and then let it go...It is, after all, their life, but at least you have planted the seed.

Archived