MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question Re: Dehydrating Lemons

I was wondering if you have dehydrated lemons? I read in a book about dehydrating the lemon and grinding it into powder to use in recipes. Do you dehydrate the entire lemon or only the lemon peel????????

Well, I usually dry the peels (great to toss into tea mixes!) and when I want to preserve the lemon itself... not so much with the drying. Candying, stored in vinegar, and frozen for me. But I'd be intrigued to hear how it works out for you if you do go the whole lemopn route.

Westbrook, you are right, the True Lemon is good! I have some...and I too want to try the lime. I was given some lemons and I thought it would be fun to try and save for dessert recipes, etc that call for it. True Lemon can be expensive, although I just bought a box for .50 cents due to a sale and a coupon!

Wow, I never thought about canning the lemons. I will have to try that sometime.

I did dehydrate the lemons and ground it into a powder. It seemed to work well. I tried the lemonade, but I think I put too much powder in it. I will have to try again. I put it away for now to save for recipes that call for lemon rind, etc.

Guest Guest

I'm with Westie - True Lemon and True Lime are wonderful! Canning the Lemons sounds absolutely wonderful, wonder if I could get DH to do this? He (as I have previously said, got burned on Y2K and doesn't want to "get carried away") Anyhow very interesting and I added the Citrus site to the favorites (boy is that getting long....)

Archived