MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Wide mouth vs standard mouth jars.....

blessedmom

I finally found the Ball Blue Book and am ready to try my hand at canning meat and I'm thinking about buying wide mouth jars. My mother cans meat and we always struggle to get it out of the standard mouth quart jars. She is gonna let me come over and use her canner so she can make sure I don't blow the place up LOL. Now keep in mind I will be 50 this fall and yet she needs to supervise which really isn't a bad idea in this case. Now neither of us have ever used a wide mouth jar and I tend to avoid change but it just seems that they would be so much more practical.

I guess the thing I really want to know is do they seal as well and which you all prefer.

I'm sorry if this has been covered before but did a search and didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

Kaye you are one day older than me !

Yes I love this place and I appreciate your feedback. I know my mother is biting her tongue about the wide mouth jars so I wanted to make sure I'd be prepared for any objections that might come up LOL.

I really like the wide mouth jars and any new jars I buy are wide-mouthed. I think they are easier to use because of the easy in getting the food item in the jar. They are always a bit more price-wise here (I suppose that would be the same everywhere??). I get jars (new ones) at Big Lots, and the wide-mouth jars are 50 cents more a dozen, but worth it, IMHO.

Have fun!!! (And welcome!

Shawna

It will be lovely to have a big sister since I've always had to be the big sister. We will definitely have to celebrate and you too Cat. Maybe we can have a turning fifty party everyone and also for the welcome Shawna.

I've been canning for years and use wide mouths for anything that I want to be able to get out whole. I usually can meats in pint jars since that equals a pound and that's what I use for a meal. If I want a lot of broth on something like chicken in order to make soup, then I can a pounds worth with broth in a quart jar. People want to know how I can get supper on the table in 30 minutes...I'm using canned meats. You will love it once you start doing it. Just a note, pork keeps best canned as opposed to frozen. Pork just doesn't freeze well, but it sure does can nicely.

I quess I get to be a big sister to all the almost 50s, since I turned 50 last January.

Phatkat thanks for the welcome!

Teacozy I also think 1956 was a good year. DH will be 50 in October too.

I agree about mothers. Mine has been in very poor health for a long time and I can't imagine life without her. She and DH are my best buds. Bless your heart that you lost yours at such a young age .

I didn't get around to getting those jars this week. My fridge and dishwasher literally both fell apart on the inside last week after 20 years of service each and even though I still can't believe it myself, DH and I went and bought new ones Monday. I feel a little guilty but couldn't imagine some disaster and a fridge that didn't work. DH said I owe it to the earth to get something a little more energy efficient after all those years...I love that man...and I'm wondering what he's thinking about buying LOL.

Archived