MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Eleven Common, Safe & Effective Medicinal Plants

Lois

Always do your own research befor using herbal remedies. Eleven Common, Safe & Effective Medicinal Plants

Each of these has been tested by at least decades if not centuries of successful, safe, traditional use, and/or by rigorous scientific studies (controlled double-blind randomized, large sample, reviewed, and reproducible). They are safe if used in anything less than greatly unreasonable quantities. Nevertheless, be careful, and if you have doubts (and you should) always check with a knowledgeable health practitioner. Also, someone will be allergic to even the safest of these. I use them all, but I'm just an amateur.

1. Plantain (Plantago major)--On most lawns, other trampled places. A humble plant that treats beestings, abrasions, cuts, etc. Just short of miraculous for relieving pain and swelling, use as a fresh poultice. Astringent, with no known toxicity, contraindications, or side effects. (Info), (Scan) (Picture)

2. Catnip (Nepeta cataria)--makes a tasty tea that is soothing and calming to humans (cats are contrary). A cup or two a day is also good for the digestion, for flatulence, and is very safe. (Info, Scan)

3. Mint (Menta spp.)--this tea is excellent after a heavy meal. It relaxes yet stimulates the digestive system, and is very tasty. Safe, effective, and mildly stimulating, use it wild or tame, fresh or dried. (Scan)

4. Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)--two uses. Fresh, it is a poultice for wounds that stops bleeding and speeds healing. Works well as a salve, too. Dried, made into a hot tea, it fights colds and flu, and promotes sweating, and heals internal wounds. It's bitter, and needs honey. It also soothes the digestion. Use cautiously during pregnancy, or if severely allergic to the aster family. (Scan)

5. St. John's Wort (Hypericum perforatum)--two uses. Traditionally it does work as a powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-viral. Recently, it has been found to relieve mild to moderate clinical depression and SAD. Used in many forms, it is a common, roadside plant. It is pretty in a humble way, but powerful. It rarely (if ever-I'm still skeptical) causes sunlight sensitivity, but theoretically can interact badly with some drugs such as SSRIs. (Scan)

6. Jewelweed (Impatiens biflora)--a simple antidote for poison ivy if applied soon after exposure. Crush the juicy stems and apply to the exposed area within ten minutes-one hour, and the rash won't develop. Some people freeze the tea in ice cube trays to keep it handy. The plant is a kick, with bright orange flowers and seed pods that pop.

7. Sage (Salvia officianale)--an astringent, anti-bacterial tea. It is tasty, and relaxing, but also good for colds. Because of its drying-up action, it makes an excellent mouthwash, and a wash for skin rashes. Don't drink more than two or three cups a day. Don't use while breast-feeding.

8. Ginger (Zingiber officinale)--in any form (candy, tea, ginger ale) it really helps relieve nausea, especially brought on by motion sickness. In Chinese medicine, it is considered a warming spice, i.e. ginger tea is good for warming up on a cold day. Although sometimes used for morning sickness, this is not recommended, as historically it has been used to cause miscarriages. Otherwise safe in normal doses.

9. Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba)-proven to improve circulation to the brain, which relieves Alzheimer's disease. (Does not do much for routine, everyday memory failure.) Safe when used as a leaf tincture or capsules, it may take 6-8 weeks before effects appear. Also treats other conditions due to improved circulatory effects. (Scan)

10. Eyebright (Euphrasia officinale)--specific for a certain type of allergy/cold, but very effective. For the type of attack that causes burning, watery eyes and runny nose, try the tincture. It can be wonderful. No hard scientific studies are available, but long-term clinical use attests to safety and effectiveness.

11. Hawthorn (Crataegus momogyna)--effective for strengthening the heart, and normalizing the blood pressure. A long-steeped decoction from the berries takes weeks to work, is slow but steady, and very safe over the long term. Don't be so foolish as to ignore a doctor's care if you have heart problems.

Contributed by Mother:

Extremely good post Lois. I'll just add that Jewel Weed juice is also good for the sting of nettles as it is for poison ivy. It often grows in the same areas.

• 6 months later...

While I'm not allergic to poison ivy, my kids are horribly allergic. Once, after they'd been exposed, I grabbed some jewelweed, crushed the leaves, and rubbed it on the area that had come in contact with the poison ivy. They didn't break out, but I did. It turns out that I'm horribly allergic to jewelweed! It took nearly a year to get it cleared up.

Archived