MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Question about ClearJel

Shawna

I have a bunch of peaches I would like to get canned today. I would rather make peach pie filling, instead of just canning the peaches (I still have quite a few jars of straight peaches from last year). All recipes I have seen online call for ClearJel....can I substitute cornstarch for the ClearJel?? If so, how much do I use to replace the ClearJel amount? I am assuming you dissolve the cornstarch in water before adding??

Thanks!

Shawna

Shawna...I don't think you are supposed to use cornstarch in canning recipes. Do you live near any Mennonites or Amish? That's where I buy mine.

I could pick you up some Clear Jel here and mail it. I guess you need some now though, since your peaches are ripe. Apple season is coming though! I get a big bag, probably several pounds, for less than $5.

Hi there,

I do live relatively close to the big Amish community here in Ohio, but I know darn well I won't get out there anytime soon LOL! (We are closing on our house on Monday....and it's an old fixer-upper, so we'll be eyeballs deep in house repairs for a few months!)

Could I get you to mail me some? That seems like a great deal! You can email or PM me and that way I can make arrangements with you (get you the money for it, etc!).

Wow, thanks!

Shawna

Hi Shawna!

I think I actually have an extra bag here and if so will pop it in the mail tomorrow. If I don't, I'll be going out to Amish store in a few days and will pick some up for you! This is a housewarming gift! I'll get on later and maybe can get your mailing address off of the e-mail. Gotta go make chicken and noodles, out of the chicken and veggies, I have left from canning the soup.

Hi Shawna!

If you check you PM's, I sent you a message with my phone number, if you need it. Anyway, I'll pop some ClearJel in the mail for you, if you share your address with me. Have a happy day!

Archived