MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

found grandma's canner

pa & ma steel

Was helping sister go through the attic, and we found grandma's old canner. It had 3 of the divider plates and the book that came with the canner. Copy write date 1923. We asked dad about it and he said he placed it up there when the pressure gage stopped working. The name National is imprinted on the lid with Eau Claire, Wis it also has 18 stamped on the lid. Did some research and found National became National Presto Inc. This is so cool to find. The handle for the lid is 2 long screws with wood around them. the handle for the canner is just a wire with a wooden dowel like on an old time bucket. Not sure if it can ever fixed enough to be used again but will call presto to see what they can advise. The rim of the lid is beveled in a bit then it runs straight for about 1 inch into the canner bucket, looks like it never did use a rubber gasket. There are 6 screws that run around the outside edge with large wing nuts that screw down like on an all American canner. If I can get a pic I will post it for you all to see.

That is so awesome Ma...I have my grandmother's canner that my mom learned how to can on all those years ago. I need to take it in to see if the gauge is still good and if not, see if I can replace it, but mainly I keep it cause she was the Grandma that really taught me how to cook and I still get tears in my eyes thinking about her...the loss of her will always be felt.

I will always keep her canner, and maybe some day I'll use it. I wear the wedding band she wore for decades, I still remember that one time she made ME go pick out a weeping willow branch for her to SWAT my butt with (the nerve lol), and I remember her standing next to me in the kitchen at the stove, watching me cook, without saying a word, until I would ask her opinion and she'd once again begin to teach.

*sigh*

I miss her so much.

• 2 weeks later...

I was given my grandmother's canner a few years back. I was unable to use it as a canner because the rubber seal was bad and the manufacturer no longer made a replacement. I used it as a water bath canner for a few years until a crack formed on the inside. Now it collects ashes beside my firplace. I just can't seem to get rid of anything.

Archived