MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

fondue

how do you use a fondue pot? we got one for xmas but instead of a burner, it has this thing that looks like a measureing cup but i dont know what kind of fuel to put in it, or what should i do with the fuel once i have it. does it need a wick or something? do you light the fuel directly? it has a lid that has a slidy bit that goes over the opening.

Hi Pixie, If yours is the same model as mine, then there is a bit of a handle the slidy thing is attached to and when you slide the cover over, it opens the whole bottom half. Mine holds a can of Sterno (a gel fuel), and there are 2 sizes of Sterno, as far as I know. A larger one, and a smaller. My fondue and my silver plate casserole stand use the smaller Sterno.

Take the lid off the sterno, put it in the holder, light the sterno with a match carefully, and use the handle to put it under the fondue pot. Then you put the slider thing over to modify how much heat you want after bringing the fondue pot to temperature or to kill the flame after you are done.

In the case of the ones with the holes in the top of the slider, I think you just put it over the flame and it heats through the holes. You have to try it or read directions somewhere. See link below.

Sterno stuff

Mine is slightly different model (older & plainer = no holes on top, just flat) than the one shown, but they work the same way.

that burner looks absolutely nothing like mine....:( also, the fondue fuel that they havbe at the store is not a gel, it is a liquid.

i am also not sure why i am up at 2:18 in the morning, however, i will sleep on it, and post a picture of my fondue set tomorrow.

oh yeah!! i knew there was somthing i was forgetting!!!!

OK, I can't tell if it comes apart in two pieces like mine does; mine looks the same but comes apart -- the top has maybe a 1/2 inch side edge. If yours does not come apart, then it is for the liquid gel, in the bottle. You just pour it in and carefully light it. Possibly the paste (cupcake thing) version would fit, but I have never seen one of those in person, so can't tell.

Go back to the link I left before (on-line) for Sterno Stuff and scroll down to see all the choices including the blue bottle of gel; they say you can get it in hardware stores. If your fuel thing comes apart, then a can (of sterno or Canadian similar) fits in there, whatever size yours is.

Does this help? You might have to order on-line.

yes the top comes off.

thanks for all your help! i cant wauit to try the artichoke/cheese dip!!

Pix, Cheesy sauces will have a tendency to burn, so use the slider top to adjust the flame. If it is bubbling, then it is too hot and you will burn your mouth - ask me how I know this...first hand experience.

Some sauces you can make in the fondue pot, others you make on the stove and then pour into the fondue and light the underburner to keep warm. If mixing cheeses to make a sauce, probably on the stove first.

Oil to do meats and fish is good, but make sure no one bumps the fondue pot over! Big hot mess.

Let us know how it turns out.

Archived