MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Newspaper clippings and old Photographs

Karen

I recently was given the remains of my grandmothers photo album. I am scanning all the pictures in their original damaged condition, then restoring them on my computer and saving both copies. Does anyone know where I can get a photo album with acid free paper to put the originals back in? I want to preserve them in the safest possible way. Most date back to the 1940's and 1950's, tho there are a few that were obviously made from tin-types because I have photos of my 5 great-grandparents that are glued to carboard with the photographers name on the backs. I also have newspaper clippings that date back from the 1930's thru the 1950's - would laminating work to preserve these? I don't want them to decay. All are yellow with age and have been unable to scan them and have them come out clearly, and ideas on how to preserve this gold mine I've been given would be greatly appreciated.

I know Hobby Lobby and even some of the albums at Target are acid free. They will be marked as such.

I don't think I would laminate anything really valuable until I checked on it. I would worry about the glue and plastic doing more harm than good. Perhaps someone at your local newspaper or museum could give you advice on the newspaper clippings? I know you can use epsom salts to preserve them but I think they have to be new clippings that are not already yellowed and frail.

I wish I could help more.

Archived