MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

New Student

I am a new student to herbs. I was in the bookstore the other day and was overwhelmed by the books.

I am looking for a book on herbs and what they are used for, how and when to harvest etc.

If there is a book that you would recommend Please give me the title, author and ISBN. I would like to have 2 or 3 books max (for now at least) on herbs. So these books need to be detailed. So know something like "Herbs for Dummies" I don't think I say one of those

The Herb Book by John Lust, tells which herbs to use to make dyes for fabric.

There is a section on the vit and mineral content of cultivated and wild food, another section on ailments and the variety of herbs that may help, it has both the common names and the botanical names of the herbs, the detailed description for identifying them is wonderful, plus much more. This book has line drawings and detailed descriptions of the plants.

Then there are 2 books which I also have that tell you which herbal remedies may be used in place of a prescription.

Prescription for Nutritional Healing: A Practical A-Z Reference to Drug-Free Remedies Using Vitamins, Minerals, Herbs & Food Supplements (Paperback)

http://www.amazon.com/Prescription-Nutriti...s/dp/0895297272

and

Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, Revised Second Edition (Paperback)

by Michael Murray, Joseph Pizzorno

Price: $17.13 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. Details You Save: $8.82 (34%)

Url won’t copy correctly, it is at the Amazon site also

Thanks Lois, and Snowmom I looked up that book. They even have Herb Garden for dummies. Like I said I was in a bookstore and was just so overwhelmed with the Herb books. First of all I knew what I wanted from the book but not what I was looking for (if that makes sense) there were so many of them and I had no idea where to start. And since I am new I didn't know which ones to trust and which ones not to trust.

Archived