MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dutch Oven Pot Pies...yummmmmy!

Recently, I had to write a short paper showing off my information of process skills... rofl

Anyway, I thought I would share it since it has my favorite dutch oven tried and true recipe...

Paper # 2

Informative Purpose/Narration of Process Pattern

The Lone Star Dutch Oven Society of Central Texas has taught me that baking a home made Turkey Pot Pie in a seasoned cast iron camping dutch oven can produce delectable results. It is important to note that a camping style dutch oven physically varies from the traditional domed, flat-bottomed kitchen style dutch oven. The outdoor variety appears as a cast iron cauldron on three legs with the lid forming a flat top with handle and a one inch rim. The rim serves to keep the coals from falling off while cooking or baking.

To prepare a Dutch Oven Turkey Pot Pie, I first gather tools and the all natural, organic ingredients required to prepare the meal. Using a charcoal chimney, I then crunch up a wad of flammable material, such as newspaper or leaves, and stuff it into the bottom chamber. Next, about 30 to 40 cubes of high quality charcoal are poured into the chimney. I then proceed to light the kindling at the bottom of the chimney with a long match or torch. The coals are allowed to burn until a thin, grey dusting of ash has formed on the surface with a hot golden glow peeking through the ash. The amount of time to achieve perfect heat varies with the quality of the charcoal as well as temperature and weather conditions; however, this visual assures me that the coals are sufficiently heated.

While coals are heating I begin to prepare the top crust for the pie. In a large bowl, I cut 1/2 cup of butter into 2 cups of flour. Once a crumbly ''corn meal'' texture has been reached, I work in 3 tablespoons of water and egg mixture with my hands to form a ball of dough. I gently roll the dough out on wax paper to about 1 inch larger than the circumference of the oven. I then proceed to finger pinch the edges into a scalloped pattern, cover the pie dough, and set it aside.

To ready the oven, I place a flat tin pan on a non-flammable surface. I maneuver the hot coals with tongs and arrange between 8 to 10 glowing coals onto this flat pan. This serves to provide a thermal resistant foundation for the oven. I then place the heavy black pot on top of the coals with the lid on. Next, 12 to 14 coals are distributed on top of the oven, and the pot is allowed to pre-heat. This coal arrangement will usually guarantee an interior temperature of 350-375 degrees.

While the dutch oven is heating, I chop up portabellas, sweet onions, favorite peppers, and carrots. A tablespoon of olive oil is then poured into the hot pot, and I sauté the vegetables with the pre-roasted shredded turkey. About five minutes later, 1½ cups of heavy whipping cream, ½ cup of red wine, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 2 tablespoons of flour, some basil, salt, and pepper are stirred into the pot. A generous portion of shredded sharp cheddar cheese is then sprinkled on top of this mixture to form a barrier between the creamy filling and the flaky crust. The pie dough is gently laid on top of the ingredients, and using my fingers, I carefully tuck in the edges. I then place the lid back on the pot and allow this dish to bake for thirty minutes.

During the cooking process, I monitor the dish for even baking by turning the lid about a quarter turn every 10 minutes or so. The same method is applied to the base of the pot. As the coals begin to shrink in size, I add reserves to the top and bottom areas. When 30 minutes have passed, I check the crust to make sure that it is golden and beautiful. If necessary, I move all coals to the top lid to guarantee a perfect, flaky, golden crust. Finally, the ashes are brushed off of the surfaces of the oven and plates are served. Delicious!

Wow, JeanetteCentaur, a wonderful literary visualization. I think I can do outdoor cooking now.

What was never really explalined was the turning the lid and turning the base separately so as to uniformly heat the pot's contents.

I was given generalizations that 'anyone can cook outside,' and "it's easy, you just do it." Yes, well, I did not want to burn and waste a meal. It costs to much to do that intentionally or unintentionally.

Thanks,

Amber

Amber, since there are coals underneath as well, I turn the pot so that nothing inside sticks to the pan for any reason. You could also shuffle the coals around to achieve the same effect.

I must say that after every use of my dutch ovens I immediately wash them out with hot water, dry them, and re-season them. I haven't had anything stick yet...but I'm careful anyway.

My honey and I cook in these every week or so for practice. We practice so that when we meet with the Dutch Oven Society we aren't critiqued too hard by the veterans... darlene

I know what you mean Jeanette, about being critiqued. I was invited to come join the so cal group but couldn't at the time. I just joined the so cal idos yahoo group. Do you belong to the yahoo group for the Tx idos?

Amber

edit: just noticed there are two chapters for lone star, badogs and caddoarea on yahoo.

Yes Amber, we are a chapter of IDOS. The group meets on the 1st Sunday of every month. It's so great! There are giant picnic tables filled with black pots...

My honey and I are the youngest members, except for a few children. Even the kids cook something in thier own pot!

I owe my enthusiasm to a couple of survivalist friends that I met through my nursing school. They bought me my 1st dutch oven for my birthday last year. cakebighugcheer

It's a great skill!!! Maybe you could show up to one of the so cal idos group meetings as a guest and figure out if you like the group???!!!

I had to come over here and see this-

I got fascinated with Dutch Oven cooking by seeing the Chuckwagon competitions. Amazing what can be made in them.

The coals on top for even cooking?

Thanks for the mental visual and the recipe.

Hi Cookie,

HSMom just put in a topic here in kitchens titled "neat resource" and listed a url for chef noah (dot com) and he has a topic page for Dutch Oven. Lists a pretty good cast iron care/info page. At the bottom he mentions rotating the oven over the coals for even heating and putting the coals on top just like Jeanette wrote about above.

I think the rule of thumb (as I've read it) is that if you are baking -- as in the oven, then you need coals on top and bottom. If you are just cooking -- like stove top, then coals on the bottom only.

I must say that most camp dutch oven cooking recipes or 'how to's' rarely mention turning for even heating. I guess they either take it for granted, or assume you are going to bury it in the ground, whereby you would not rotate the oven -- just wait the time and unbury and serve.

Amber

Archived