MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Repackaging dehydrated eggs

furbabymom

I have a #10 can of dehydrated eggs that I need to use up by the end of August. They've been open since last August, and I've only used 1/3 of the can, so I'm thinking there's no way I could use them all up by then!

I was thinking about sealing some in mason jars with my foodsaver - will that help them keep longer, or is there something more I need to do to something like eggs to keep preserving them? I'm afraid so much of it will go to waste. I know once I open them again I'll still only have five months to use them up...

Thoughts?

What is the normal shelf life of dehydrated eggs? Mine came in a huge bag that I haven't opened yet. Should they be repackaged and vacume sealed? I surely hope these haven't spoiled before I even used any. We have chickens and too many fresh eggs for the two of us. The dehydrated were intended for slow laying times and/or SHTF.

I bought mine for bird flu, but then one day I was out of eggs...

Mine are in #10 cans and they're supposed to last (if I remember right) 10 years unopened, and 1 year opened.

I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and try the foodsaver. Worst that can happen is I'll have to throw out some eggs I was going to have to throw out anyway!

• 1 month later...

Hi, I scored a buy on about 18 packages of dehydrated eggs that were on half price clearance. So I re-packed them all into either half gallon or quart canning jar and vacuem sealed them. That was 2 years ago & they seem fine when I use them. I keep wondering if I should put an oxygen absorber into each jar but that may be overkill.

Thanks! I repackaged some into pint jars (they wouldn't all seal - I'm not sure if something's wrong with my jar sealer (foodsaver) or if I did something wrong). That way I don't have much open at a time. Glad to hear it worked for you!

Archived