MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Sambucol reaching use by date?

Bluechip

I am not usually a stickler for the use by dates as my own doctor says that for most things it's not an issue. But I'm wondering about my Sambucol. It's use by date is May 2007 and I am thinking of storing it in the fridge to extend it's life. Anyone have any advice or insight? It has helped dh through 1 cold and a bout of the flu. He's about the only person whose come down with the flu that didn't have any other issues like pneumonia among our friends and families. When he caught the flu I started the Sambucol and I did not come down with it!

Any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

I make my own elderberry products so am not sure what is in Sambucol or what the base is. If it's alcohol based it usually keeps very well. The problem with herbs is that they can lose their effectivness faster than most medications. You probably won't find it spoiling just not as effective. If your DH uses it and it doesn't seem to be working as well this time you'll know why. I believe you could keep it for six or eight months longer than the date though which would probably get you through another flu season at least.

One caution. If it smells strange or develops an off color or taste or looks then throw it out. Personally, I would keep it and use it if there seemed to be no change in it.

:big hugs:

• 2 weeks later...

here is the list of ingredients for sambucol from 2 different sites that sell it:

Ingredients: Sambucol (patented black elderberry extract)

Also contains: Glucose Syrup, Raspberry Extract, Honey, Citric Acid, Natural Flavor.

Ingredients: Sambucol (patented black elderberry extract)

Also contains: Citric Acid, Raspberry extract, Sorbitol, Water. Product is Sugar-Free.

i make my own elderberry tincture and it works terrific. you can do it easily and save alot of money.

i have also seen sambucol sold with echinachea added, so i dont know which you are using.

heres an easy thing to do: order some elderberry (i go to www.herbalcom.com but you can find it on alot of other herbal sites). a pound will cost about $8 and will make almost a gallon.

get a 1.75 litre of vodka, at least 80 proof.

put the dry berries in a sterile large glass jar and fill to about 1/2 way with the berries.

pour the vodka in and cover the berries to over 1 inch above the berries.

add 1-2 cups sugar. ( i prefer 2 cups as it cuts the sourness quiet well)

cover with lid and shake well.

label and date the jar so you remember when you started it

set the jar aside and shake good once or twice every day

most people let it steep for 2 weeks-- i like 4 weeks, thats just my preference.

if the berries seem to soak up alot, add more vodka to keep the liqued level about 1 inch over the berries.

when ready, strain the berries out in a cheesecloth lined colander into a clean bowl. no plastic please. squeeze the berries in the cloth to get the last drops. your hands will get purple, but hey, its a great color (yes, it washes out) store the tincture in a dark bottle out of sunlight, a cupboard is fine. use when needed. this will cost you about $10 for the berries with shipping and about $14 for the vodka. and it lasts indefinitely. and you will get at least 1 ltr depending on how well you squeeze.

the taste will depend on how much sugar you added, some folks use honey, its your preference.

its easy to make and works wonderfully. elderberry ROCKS!

AND since youve only used part of your pound of elderberry, you get to make MORE! WHAAA-HOO!

hope you give it a try and have some fun. with what the FDA is trying to do, its worth making some some to have on hand.

jazzy ;^)

Archived