MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

no knead bread recipe - yes it belongs here! ;)

Amishway Homesteaders

My(Michael's) Mother called the other day to give us a recipe for no knead bread, but she said it was on the computer.

Mom, he said, you don’t have a computer?

I got it out of a magazine so you can look it up on yours.

Oh, OK what is the address for it, Mom?

No you don’t send in for it – it’s on the computer.

Mom, just read it to me and Lori will write in down.

OK here we go I will try and type it just like she said it and then you don’t need to ask if my Mom is a computer geek or not?

It is world war one? no wait world war. . .well I don’t know but it has 3 w’s then a period then woman’s day but there is no space so I guess they printed it wrong but it is the name of the magazine I found it in.

OK so we have 3 W's womansday Period com. . .com ..Is that short for company? anyway period com . . . do I say slanty line or is that just there so you know that more is coming? OK slanty line naked bread. Wait that not right (she is laughing now) It is not naked bread they put the words together again it says no knead bread but noknead looks like naked you know. So do you got it? Can you look it up ok?

believe It or not we got the recipe!

Don’t you just love Mothers

Michael2

How sweet!

And for those of us who are curious: http://www.womansday.com/cooking/11572/no-knead-bread.html

Quote:
No-Knead Bread

Step-by-step instructions for a delish loaf

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery

Ingredients

3 1/3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, plus more for dusting

1/4 tsp instant (rapid-rise) yeast

2 tsp salt

Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed for coating

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups tepid water, and stir until blended; dough will be sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at room temperature.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. It should look like the image at left. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle dough with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, cornmeal or wheat bran. Using just enough flour to keep dough (which is sticky) from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, cornmeal or bran. Cover with another cotton towel or plastic wrap and let rise for about 2 to 3 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 °F. Put a 3- to 4-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, or ceramic) in oven as it heats. (Make sure if the pot has a handle that it is oven safe to 450 °F. If not, remove it.) When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is OK. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Turn out on wire rack to cool completely. Your bread will look different, depending on the type of dusting flour you used.

Yield: One 1 1/2 lb loaf.

Archived