MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Main Objective to eat cheap but nutritious

This year I am really focusing on healthier meals for us while saving money on groceries. I started going to stores a few years ago, like Aldi's and Sav-A-Lot besides Sam's Club for good bargins. I am also using up stock that I have had for over a year and am putting new stock in a different location.

I go to the dollar stores to get brand name deodorants, bath powders, soaps, toothpastes, shampoos and conditioners and things like toothbrushes and other toiletries.

Usually during the springtime the dollar stores put their boxes of tissues on sale for 3 for 1.00 and I buy a case which last us most of the year.

I buy toilet paper by the case 2x a year and when I go shopping I buy an extra dish liquid that I use if its on sale and stick it away in the back of the cupboard.

That beef roast that we have had 8 meals out of so far cost me 5.99 for a 14 lb sirloin roast after I used the store coupon of half off on a beef sale.

I buy meat and other items at buy one get one or two free items..

I make sure that the price of the meat does not go over 1.99 a lb.

I use coupons also but you can save money without using them.

The only night we buy something to eat in or eat out is on Wednesdays our grocery shopping days. We don't spend alot either.

On weekends we have started to go out to the discount 1.50 cent movies at the discount movie theaters and I bring snacks and sodas for us from home.

We take in free concerts and we are volunteer seaters for Broadway Theater Shows from NY City, for our local opera and our local pops and symphony orchestras.

At our local university I will be seating people while getting a free seat to see Hamlet this spring.

We volunteer our services to the local observatory so we get to use the telescopes and other items for use there.

Our church groups go on little trips to zoos or baseball games in NYC . Collections paying.

There is so much to get involved in and see for free.

I declare this Year of the Freebies and Money Savers!

Let us know how you are saving money and enjoying yourself at the same time.