MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Right there ... all the time

Homesteader

When looking for my grand parents as children, I found that several family members lived within the same block. What I found as really interesting is that some family members that I didn't even believe lived in that state, also lived near them. My grandfather's family even lived two doors down from my grandmother. We didn't know where his family was from, but since the his birth certificate was in New Hamshire and the birth place of his father was also listed there ( his mother was born in Ireland. Try to find a Mary Fitzgerald from Ireland that all you have is her birth year. It seems half the Irish girls were named Mary Fitzgerald!!! We only have her name, and not her parents, siblings or anything else.) My grandmother on my Mother's side comes from Maine. It was in Maine that we found some of the other members of our family, both on my Mothers and Fathers side. My Father's family were suppose to be from Canada and Massachusetts. It is amazing how the twists and turns seem to go. We also knew my father's mother was raised by an aunt. It was a census that finally showed us who she was and several other relatives. I never found it, but got it from posting on a genealogy site. Again, it was on a census that I had not even thought of checking out because our family wasn't from that area. I was wrong. I guess it hurts waiting to start this until after most of the older relatives were gone.

My mom is the last person on her side that remembers much. I keep her talking via email. She seems to really enjoy it, especially at 81 yrs old. By keep her chattering, I keep her remembering something new most times.

I did find a relative on a census sheet that was considered a 'niece' in an unknown family to me. I haven't found that family name link in my search yet, but will enjoy that little piece of the puzzle when it fits. banana

I have a doctor friend I've been asking medical terms from. I can get the same definitions on the internet, but my friend is 91 years old and he gives me lots of extra info. I told him I'd use some of it when I begin writing biographies on the ancestors. :banana2:

Archived