MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Hello from Central Maine

OldMaineBear

Hey PCS!!

How did you fare in the recent hurricane? hope you got through unharmed in self and property.

I have pleased one editor a few years ago. Had 1 poem published. Had more photographs in print than words so far. I keep hoping.

I do like the acronyms for the names. I have been OMB for years now.

I do a wide variety of photos. My first Best In Show was of a fog enshrouded swamp of all things. The second was of three dories tied to a dock, it was also my firsat magazine cover. My second magazine cover was of two cannons from the USS Constitution at the University of Maine. Had a lot of wins after these. All different subjects. My first, and only, book cover was a study of an antique wedding dress and veil for a friend's 3rd book of poems. All with 35 mm so far. I just am getting into digital and enjoy it, but I have 35mm ingrained so I will never be fully digital. Both have their plusses and minuses. I tend to do my more "artsy" work on film. I use the digital to set up some shots and to get that instant feedback as to what the shot will look like. Saves cost of film for sure.

I use Olympus equipment, both film and digital.

No web site of my shots. Once they get online they are no longer your's.

Originally Posted By: OldMaineBear
I do a wide variety of photos. My first Best In Show was of a fog enshrouded swamp of all things.

mecry waah...homesick now! About a week before Katrina, I took some awesome shots of the very same thing, in Louisiana's Jean Lafitte State Park (Barataria/Lafitte area). Gators galore, too. What swamp did you shoot?

The second was of three dories tied to a dock, it was also my firsat magazine cover. My second magazine cover was of two cannons from the USS Constitution at the University of Maine. Had a lot of wins after these. All different subjects. My first, and only, book cover was a study of an antique wedding dress and veil for a friend's 3rd book of poems. All with 35 mm so far.

I just am getting into digital and enjoy it, but I have 35mm ingrained so I will never be fully digital. Both have their plusses and minuses. I tend to do my more "artsy" work on film. I use the digital to set up some shots and to get that instant feedback as to what the shot will look like. Saves cost of film for sure.

You've got a great plan there! I love being able to play with a digital camera for hours without the expense!

No web site of my shots. Once they get online they are no longer your's.

Aaacckk! I'm in the process of setting up a website to sell my artwork (I'm a wildlife artist & sometimes photographer). I was hoping this would open another sales outlet for my work, mainly because I'm tired of the hassle of doing art fairs, festivals, etc. It is a real pain to have my hard work stolen, even after seemingly adequate precautions to prevent theft. GRRR.

Now this? Would watermarking the image help reduce internet theft?

PCS ~ My "swamp" would be called a damp spot beside the road compared to Louisiana swamps.

Protection online is possible. I have seen sites that make it near impossible to lift images but I haven't investigated them since I imagine they are a bit costly. Watermarks can be eliminated with a few minutes in someone's photoshop program. Only slows them down a bit. If I see those sites that you can't download images, I'll ask where they got the program and let you know.

Originally Posted By: OldMaineBear

Protection online is possible. I have seen sites that make it near impossible to lift images but I haven't investigated them since I imagine they are a bit costly.

Hmmm...along that thought...ebook "publishers" have software that prevents copy and paste functions, to help prevent theft of material. I will definitely research this from an image theft standpoint!

Watermarks can be eliminated with a few minutes in someone's photoshop program. Only slows them down a bit. If I see those sites that you can't download images, I'll ask where they got the program and let you know.

Please do! I'll be looking, as well. If you get it before I do, PM me, here. I might miss it, if the find is buried in a thread, somewhere...

Meanwhile, enjoy your stay at Mrs. Survival!

Archived