MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canning Juices

Abigail

Okay; I'm clueless about this one, but I happened across this "canning bottle" and it got me thinking about which types of juices are possible to can. Never have seen this in stores anywhere, but thought it would be helpful and easier to use for all kinds of "pourable" things...juices, ketchup, maybe mustard??

http://www.organizedliving.com/product/cod....do?code=NEXTAG

1138100089_dt.jpg

I'd especially like to know about orange juice. I know it's commercially canned, but YUCK. I was wondering if anyone has tried to do it at home...and whether they've had better results.

If you can orange juice at home it tastes like that old timey cheap orange juice. It changes the flavor when processed.

The bottles should be OK for juice, but since they are a bit larger than a quart I wouldn't say that the processing times for quarts would be long enough for other foods.

I was afraid of that...was hoping home canned would make a difference in the taste from the commercially canned offerings.

I thought the bottle shape was quite unusual; have you ever seen that in use before? It does seem rather expensive; though a few might be useful if you put up your own condiments...

I haven't heard as much talk about canning juices in general...is it just not worth it taste-wise to do so as opposed to getting the commercial kinds???

PS

I did think it odd that they showed it used for pickles...seems like they'd get stuck inside that small-necked bottle. Good for pourable liquids, though.

I have never used them or seen anyone use them. Mostly because of the expense. I know, rather odd for pickles.

Some juices are fine to can. Apple is good, grape, and of course, tomato juice. I do it mostly because I get free fruit.

I have a steam juicer. We are juicing some Concord grapes today. I will freeze my juice, though. The steam juicers are really great. They get all of the juice out, just left with pretty dry pulp in the top. I highly recommend a steam juicer.

Archived