MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Essiac

gardnmom

Essiac is a very controversial probuct And I in no way am telling anyone to take it. My experience with it is through a friend, who believes he was directed by God, to use it. And was cured, by using the product along with a healthy diet. Having said that,

Here it is:

ESSIAC

Supplies Needed

4 or 5 gallon stainless steel pot

2 gallon stainless steel pot, with lid

Stainless steel fine-mesh double strainer

Stainless steel funnel

Stainless steel spatula

12 or more 16 ounce amber glass bottles

with air tight caps (not childproof caps)

2 gallons of sodium-free distilled water

Essiac Formula

6 1/2 cups burdock root - cut

( Arctium Lappa )

16 oz. sheep sorrel herb - powdered

( Rumex Acetosella )

1 oz. turkey rhubarb root - powdered

( Rheum Palmatum ) ?

4 oz. Slippery elm bark - powdered

( Ulmus Fulva )

Preparation

Mix Essiac formula thoroughly.

Bring sodium-free distilled water to a rolling boil in a 5-gallon pot with lid on. (Approximately 30 minutes at sea level.)

Stir in 1 cup of Essiac formula. Replace lid and continue boiling for 10

minutes.

Turn off stove. Scrape down sides of pot with spatula and stir mixture thoroughly. Replace lid.

Allow pot to remain closed for 12 hours; then turn stove to full heat for 20 minutes.

Turn off stove. Strain liquid into 3-gallon pot, and clean 5-gallon pot and strainer. Then Strain filtered liquid back into 5-gallon pot.

Use funnel to pour hot liquid into bottles immediately, taking care to tighten caps. Allow bottles to cool; then tighten the caps again.

Refrigerate. Essiac contains no preservative agents. If mold should develop in the bottle, discard immediately.

CAUTION: All bottles and caps must be sterilized after use if you plan to re-use them for Essiac. Bottle caps must be washed and rinsed thoroughly, and may be cleaned with a 3% solution of food grade hydrogen peroxide in water.

Directions for use

Heat four tablespoons [ 2 oz. ] sodium-free distilled water in a stainless steel pot. Add 4 tablespoons of Essiac ( shake bottle first). Mix and drink.

Take at bedtime on an empty stomach, at least 2 hours after eating.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On this site they discuss both rhubarbs after reading it , please consider the following:

Question: If you lived in Canada in 1922 and were using an Indian formula, which is what she used, do you believe it is likely that she imported from Turkey the amount of Rubarb that she had to have to in order to treat her many patients free of charge. Rene Cassie because of her contract with the Canadian Authorities, could not charge her patients, she lived on the produce etc that were donated by her patients.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

These are the ingredients purportedly from the original formula and their medicinal qualities.

Indian Rhubarb Root (Rheum Officinale)

In small amounts, this herb acts as a gentle laxative and purges the body, especially the liver, of toxic buildup and waste. It helps counteract acids due to indigestion. Its malic acid also carries oxygen to all parts of the body, aiding in healing. Rhein present in the root, inhibits disease causing bacteria and candida albicans in the intestines. It helps reduces fever and inflammation. Studies show that rhubarb root has antibiotic and anti-tumor properties.

Burdock Root (Arctium lappa)

Burdock cleanses the blood and lymphatic system. It contains Inulin, which strengthens the vital organs such as the liver, pancreas and spleen. It also reduces mucus and prevents formation of gall and kidney stones. Its vitamin A and selenium help eliminate free radicals and its chromium content helps regulate blood sugar levels.

Slippery Elm inner bark (Ulmus Fulva)

Principal component is mucilage which helps the body cleanse itself of toxic waste. It helps nourish and restore plasma in the blood and lymph in the lymphatic system. It improves intestinal flora and soothes asthma. It also helps relieve acids from indigestion and eczema.

Sheep Sorrel (Rumex Acetosella)

Sheep Sorrel relieves internal ulcers and applied helps clear skin problems such as eczema and psoriasis. Rich in vitamins, and trace mineral elements, it nourishes the glandular system. Sheep sorrel contains silicon, a necessary element for nerves and the myellin sheath that protects them. Sheep Sorrel cleanses blood and improves liver, intestinal and bowel function.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mmm yes, should have read this first. I haven't read this info for a long time. Thanks for posting it. According to report, Rene got the formula from a patient who was cured of cancer by an indian healer (or from the healer himself depending on where you read it) I can't believe that a Native American at that time would have used Turkey rhubarb. I believe it was Indian Rhubarb. I've tried to find references to that plant being in Canada at that time but so far have not found any though I'm sure it would have been there quicker than Turkey rhubarb would have been.

You can buy this formula already made up in extract form to add to water. I'm not sure how it works compared to the homemade formula. I know it's costly.

Great work, Lois, I really appreciate these posts as they make me have to dig out my rusty memory, not to mention books and dust them off.

Was looking through my herb books to see if I could find anything on Turkey Rhubarb.

Credits: "Back to Eden" by Jethro Kloss 1939

RHUBARB (Root)

Botanical Name: Rheum Palmatum

Common Name: Turkey Rhubarb, China Rhubarb

Medicinal Properties: Vulnerary, tonic, stomachic, purgative, astringent, aperient

Rhubarb is an old-time remedy, very useful for diarrhea and dysentery in adults and children. An excellent laxative for infants, as it is very mild and tonic. Excellent to increase the muscular action of the bowels. Excellent for use in stomach troubles. Will relieve headache. It stimulates the gall ducts, thereby causing the ejection of bilious materials. Excellent for scrofulous children with distended abdomens. Good for the liver. Cleans and tones the bowels.

From same book:

SHEEP SORREL

It kills putrefaction in the blood, expels worms and is warming to the heart.

A poultice is excellent for cancer, boils, and tumors.

BURDOCK

Root is one of the best blood purifiers for syphilitic and other diseases of the blood. It cleanses and eliminates impurities from the blood supply very rapidly.

SLIPPERY ELM

Will stay on ulcerated and cancerous stomach when nothing else will.

Will roll up the mucous material troubling the patient, pass it down through the intestines. It cleans, heals, and strengthens.

Excellent treatment for cancers and tumors of the womb.

I wanted to say that my husband's uncle was also cured of end stage renal cancer by drinking this tea. He had fought it for 4 yrs, and was finally in the end stages and on hospice when his wife heard about it from her chiropractor, and started making the tea for him. After one month he sent the hospice nurses home, and told them he would call them if he needed them, 3 months later he was leading the church choir again, at 6 months his doctor called him and wanted to know why he wasnt dead yet. One year after first starting the tea they could find no tumors what so ever. The kidney cancer hasnt been back in 6 yrs now, he has however had several brain tumors, 1 out of 3 have been malignant, but he continues to drink his tea and feels very good health wise. His wife and him travel extensively and enjoy their lives. He is so healthy that hours after brain surgery he is up and talking on the telephone! His brother had one tumor on his kidney about 5 yrs ago, had surgery, radiation, and drinks the tea as well, it has never came back. I have known people with cancer to not be cured while taking this tea, but all felt better while drinking it. There is a drastic cut down of the ammount of pain medication, and improvement of health while taking it. I take the capsules whenever I feel like Im run down and or need to clean out my system. They say the tea is the very best, second best would be the tincture, and the whole herb capsule third. The capsules are easy to take, so that is why I take them, but the tea although it tastes a little swammpy, is tolerable. I recommend essiac to everyone. If you go to a healthfood store and ask for cancer tea they will know what you are talking about,Essiac is just one brand. The fact is that if you get good quality herbs it will do the same things. In the mean time, do a search on Essiac, and Rene Caisse, its very interesting information. AM.

Archived