MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need Canning Beans help

JCK88

Folks, Does anyone here have a good recipe for canning Boston Baked Beans? Yes, I know you can buy them canned but I want to make home done ones because of food allergies to corn and mustard. I have tried to make these in the past but they don't seem to pressure can well, turning into mush? Is there some secret to this I am missing?

Also, my husband wants to can his chili recipe, which also contains beans. Is there some way to pressure can beans so they don't go mush?

I have canned for 25 years and yet have not hit on a good way to do either of these things and decided what the hey, ask you good ladies here who may have more knowledge in this area. Meanwhile, I'm searching online for canning bean recipes and reading all I can about it before trying this again. thanks in advance..that is

I can't help with the baked beans, but the chili I have canned quite a bit. I just make a big pot of it, cooked up like we are ready to eat it. Then pressure can the chili, beans and all, without a problem. I haven't had the beans go mushy yet. Maybe the kidney beans hold up better than other beans when pressure canned?

Q

Gotcha....will use the kidney beans...actually DH makes the chilli (I hate it, LOL)

Archived