MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Roma tomatoes

Were $1 a pound last week! So I bought more than I normally use. I'm looking for a good, homemade spaguetti sauce. Anyone want to share yours? I'd appreciate it! And of course, I mean from scratch....I want to use up those tomatoes!

Thanks! HG flowersmilie

I can often gets lots of roma tomatoes - because I get them for free, I dont want to spend money getting tons of other ingredients there and then. So I cook the tomatoes down, add salt, pepper and a little sugar and preserve them. Then when I want to use them, I decide what to add, depending on what is available.

For a spaghetti base:

Brown some onion, add a little garlic, chilli or capsicums, add the mince meat and brown, tip in the tomatoe base, add some tomato paste (otherwise it doesn't look red enough frown ) add herbs to taste and simmer.

This way I use what is available at the time, which works better than having to buy other ingredients. It also varies the flavour a little each time.

Oh! Oh! Great ideas! Thanks so much! thanks

SueC, how many tomatoes would you say you use for one batch of spaguetti sauce? I'm thinking that I have to use them up soon...I don't want to lose them! So, spaguetti for supper anyone? It will be interesting, I can guaranty that! grin

Thanks again! HG flowersmilie

Archived