MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Need Shrimp Gumbo recipe!

I'm trying to find a shrimp gumbo recipe that does Not have sausage as an ingredient and one that will work well in the crockpot. This is to serve 4 adults and six children, so one that will make a good amount.

Thanks in advance! Also, suggestions for side dishes, breads, etc. to go with this would be greatly appreciated!

PureCajunSunshine - I'm guessing you have one so I am going to check your website as well! feedme

First you make a roux...lol ;-)

I found this one as a starting place. You can alter it as you see fit regarding okra etc. Once you get the 'roux' made, the rest is according to your own taste and what your family likes. You can add chicken or not. You can avoid sausage along the same lines.

I've never made gumbo in a crock pot. The one thing to remember about cooking with shrimp is to wait until the last few minutes of cooking before putting them it. Most people make the mistake of cooking shrimp too long which is the only way that I know of to mess them up. I've even eaten them raw fresh from the Gulf. The way to tell if shrimp are fresh is by the smell. If they've got a strong 'fishy' smell, they've been out of the water too long for my taste. Still good to cook with but not the best. Anyhow, this is one recipe that you can use to begin thinking through it.

This one is a tomato based recipe rather than starting from a roux. A roux is simply oil, flour and water cooked very slowly (careful not to burn the roux) until it begins to darken. Some folks like dark roux and some like a lighter colored roux. Darker roux usually has a more pronounced flavor. You can buy roux in a jar and simply follow directions if you're not sure how to do that. I prefer roux based gumbo as opposed to this kind which is tomato based. I'd also add more onion to this, maybe some bell pepper and garlic to taste along with a little celery.

SHRIMP GUMBO

1 1/2 c. tomato puree

1 c. sliced celery

8 oz. canned okra plus liquid from can

2 pimientos, sliced

2 tbsp. dehydrated onion flakes

1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning or gumbo file powder

Salt to taste

Pepper to taste

Hot sauce to taste

1 1/2 lbs. shelled & deveined shrimp

2 c. cooked enriched rice

Combine tomato puree, celery, okra, pimientos, onion flakes and seasoning in a saucepan. Simmer 10 minutes. Add shrimp and cook about 2 minutes, or until shrimp turn pink. Divide rice evenly into 4 soup bowls; divide gumbo evenly over rice. Makes 4 luncheon servings

Here's another one that describes making a roux. Simply avoid the sausage and add whatever else you might want. This one sounds better to me.

4 ounces vegetable oil

4 ounces all-purpose flour

1 1/2 pounds raw, whole, head-on medium-sized (31-50 count) shrimp

2 quarts water

1 cup diced onion

1/2 cup diced celery

1/2 cup diced green peppers

2 tablespoons minced garlic

1/2 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomato

1 tablespoon kosher salt

1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 bay leaves

1/2 pound andouille sausage, cut into 1/4-inch pieces and browned

1 tablespoon file powder

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the vegetable oil and flour into a 5 to 6-quart cast iron Dutch oven and whisk together to combine. Place on the middle shelf of the oven, uncovered, and bake for 1 1/2 hours, whisking 2 to 3 times throughout the cooking process.

While the roux is baking, de-head, peel and devein the shrimp. Place the shrimp in a bowl and set in the refrigerator. Place the heads and shells in a 4-quart saucepan along with the 2 quarts of water, set over high heat and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour or until the liquid has reduced to 1-quart. Remove from the heat and strain the liquid into a container, discarding the solids.

Once the roux is done, carefully remove it from the oven and set over medium-high heat. Gently add the onions, celery, green peppers and garlic and cook, moving constantly for 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions begin to turn translucent. Add the tomatoes, salt, black pepper, thyme, cayenne pepper, and bay leaves and stir to combine. Gradually add the shrimp broth while whisking continually. Decrease the heat to low, cover and cook for 35 minutes. Turn off the heat, add the shrimp and sausage and stir to combine. Add the file powder while stirring constantly. Cover and allow to sit for 10 minutes prior to serving. Serve over rice.

Here's another:

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour

2 pounds medium shrimp, peeled and deveined

2 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 cups chopped okra

2 onions, chopped

1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes

2 quarts water

1 bay leaf

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 teaspoon salt

1 red bell pepper, chopped

ground black pepper to taste

READ REVIEWS (14)

Review/Rate This Recipe

Save To Recipe Box

Add to Shopping List

Add a Personal Note

Post a Recipe Photo

Post a Favorite Food List

Create a Menu

DIRECTIONS

In a large skillet over high heat, add 2 tablespoons oil and flour to the pan, and whisk together quickly. Continue cooking and stirring until a dark roux forms. Stir in shrimp. Cook and stir for a few minutes, until the shrimp turns pink. Set aside.

In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Stir in okra and onions; cook until okra is tender. Mix in tomatoes. Add water, bay leaf, garlic, salt, red pepper, and the shrimp mixture. Cover, and cook slowly for 30 minutes.

And here's another along the same lines:

Non-liquid:

1/3 cup diced celery

1/3 cup diced onion

1/3 cup diced bell pepper

1/2 pound peeled shrimp

1 1/2 cup diced pork sausage

5 cloves garlic

chopped scallions for garnish

Liquid:

1 cup chicken stock

1/2 cup clam juice

1/4 cup white wine

1/4 cup tomato sauce

Spices:

1/2 tsp each salt, white pepper, leaf thyme, oregano, and cayenne

one whole bay leaf

Start by getting all of the ingredients laid out and ready to go. I try to cut large chunks of sausage and dice the veggies very small. I have more garlic in the picture than I call for in the ingredients, but I just like garlic that much. The extra green stuff in the picture is fresh thyme, but dried is actually better. I just didn't happen to have any.

The first thing to cook is the roux which will thicken the gumbo. If you haven't made a dark roux before I'll warn you that this can be very frightening, but it's really not that hard. Some pointers: 1)The smoke alarm will usually go off if you don't use enough ventilation. 2)If the roux actually burns it will taste icky, so start over. 3)Use a whisk, take the pan off the heat frequently, and stir constantly. Don't let it ever sit. 4)Don't let this stuff get on you. If it splashes on you, you'll be very unhappy. Don't have it splash.

Heat 3 Tsp vegetable oil (not olive oil) over medium high heat and have a half cup of flour at hand (you won't use all the flour). When the oil is hot add about two tablespoons of flour and mix it in quickly. When it's incorporated add a third tablespoon and mix that in. The idea is to quickly brown the flour without burning it. You want the roux rather thick so add small amounts of flour to thicken during the mixing process if it thins out a lot. Continue cooking until it's very dark, maybe a little darker than the picture above. When you think it's dark enough, take off the heat, toss in the veggies and mix to slow the cooking process. Add all the spices and mix a bit more. Set aside.

In a sauce pan, heat all of the liquid ingredients to a slow boil and then spoon in the roux/veggie mix, stirring to completely dissolve between each addition. Press in the garlic. Add the sausage and simmer the whole thing for about ten minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning.

Add the shrimp and stir a few times as they cook in three or four minutes. Spoon over rice and garnish with green onions.

And here's yet another that describes the roux making process. As you can see, it's not typically a crockpot kind of preparation.

INGREDIENTS

1 pound smoked sausage, cut into 1/4 inch rounds

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 (4 pound) chicken, cut into parts

2/3 cup all-purpose flour

2 cups chopped onion

1/2 cup chopped green onions

2/3 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped

2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

1 tablespoon minced garlic

2 pounds medium shrimp - peeled and deveined

8 cups water

salt to taste

ground black pepper to taste

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1 teaspoon dried thyme

2 bay leaves

file powder

READ REVIEWS (26)

Review/Rate This Recipe

Save To Recipe Box

Add to Shopping List

Add a Personal Note

Post a Recipe Photo

Post a Favorite Food List

Create a Menu

DIRECTIONS

In a medium skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat. Remove from pan, and drain on paper towels to remove some of the fat. Discard fat in pan.

In a large skillet, heat vegetable oil over high heat. Brown chicken pieces in hot oil. Turn frequently until golden brown on all sides. Transfer chicken to a dish, leaving oil in pan. Set chicken aside, but keep warm.

Make a roux by whisking flour into the hot vegetable oil. Turn heat down to low. Continue cooking flour and oil mixture, stirring constantly, until it reaches a dark brown color. This may take 30 to 45 minutes; the darker the roux, the better the final gumbo.

When the roux is a dark brown color, quickly add the sausage, onion, green onion tops, green pepper, parsley, and garlic. Cook over low heat until the vegetables are wilted, about 10 minutes, stirring constantly.

Stir in 2 cups water and spices. Add chicken parts. Add rest of the water slowly. Bring mixture to a boil, and reduce heat. Simmer for about 45 minutes, until chicken is done and tender.

Remove chicken pieces, and save for another use. Add shrimp to gumbo; cook for about 8 to 10 minutes more. Remove bay leaves. Taste, and adjust seasoning. Serve gumbo in deep bowls. Sprinkle file powder over individual servings, and stir in.

Note

File powder is a seasoning made from the ground, dried leaves of the sassafras tree. It's an integral part of Creole cooking, and is used to thicken and flavor Gumbos and other Creole dishes. File should be stirred into a dish after it's removed from the heat because undue cooking makes file tough and stringy.

Mos' of all, have fun. And don't burn the roux.

But but gumbo has to have sausage DarleneSwoon that is a crime against nature-- no sausage

rofl

Why don't you just use a regular gumbo recipe and omit the sausage. I make mine in the crock pot all the time. I just don't add the shrimp until about an hour before serving. That way it doesn't cook to pieces.

Archived