MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Thankful For A Roof

Jeepers

I'm so happy today. I know I need a new roof on my house. I put off getting one last summer but it has to be done this year.

We had 3-4 days of very high wind last week. It was so strong one of my fence panels fell down. Luckily, my son came by and fixed it in about 5 minutes.

But, on my way to the library the other day I noticed I had lost some of the shingles from my roof during the high winds. My heart really dropped. I was praying there wouldn't be any damage, from the rain, inside the house up in the attic. Hard to get a new roof in the winter around here. I've been really depressed over it.

Today I went out to get a better look at it and the roof was all there! Evidently what I had been seeing, from the street, was something that had just blown up there. I had mistaken debris from the wind storms for missing shingles. Whew!

I'm REALLY thankful I have a roof over my head!

I know what ya mean Debbie. Even though I know I have to have it and I know it is going to cost me a small fortune; it is still going to be a huge shock to me when I get the estimate.

I didn't think about adding more insulation. Some days I want to stay here and some days I want to move so I'm never quite sure how much extra I want to sink into the place.

Glad it was just a mistake smile We lost 12 shingles in the last windstorm, and I found a local roofer to replace them individually for only $89! We are saving up for a new roof in a few years. I got him to ballpark me an estimate so I'd know how much to put away. He said about $4000 for the labor +materials. Our house is about 1800 sq ft so that should give you a little of an idea.

I was thinking around $5,000.00. It's gonna hurt no matter when I get it done. I've been saving up for it though. I'm hoping I can put it on my credit card (need to check my limit) and then pay it off when I get my statement. I have a Discover Card where I get cash back on everything. I pay it off every month. It's a small percentage but still free money.

Archived