MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What's your favorite marinade for wild game?

I know there are many ones out there. Milk is used a lot, I've mixed milk w/ bbq sauce before with very tasty results. I've heard of pouring vinegar into a marinade or using it as the marinade itself? I'm not really sure.

What do you like to use to get the gamey flavor out?

For deer I mix teryaki or soy sauce with a little lemon AND lime juice, let sit overnight and drain before cooking. Then brown or cook slightly in the crock pot long enough to cook out some more of the liquid, then drain again.

That seems to take a lot of the gamey taste out and my DH has asked me on more than one occasion if the roast of deer od beef as he couldn't tell by the taste.

I think something about the lemon/lime juice helps take the gamet taste out and getting all the blood out helps a lot too.

I will usually then just cook in the crock pot with whatever flavoring I want. I use plain gravy mix or mushroom soup then add my own seasonings a lot. Helps to tenderize too as I have found most deer doesn't have a lot of fat.

I have several marinades but my all-time favorite is done in a ratio of 3 to 1 using teriyake (low sodium) or soy sauce, Ketchup, and oil. Example,

1-1/2 cups of teriyake

1-1/2 cups of ketchup

1/2 cup of oil. Stir well

I usually make large amounts of this as it keeps very well in the frig and I cook a lot of deer. I cut the venison into strips and drop in the marinade. Marinate as long as possible, if overnight, toss out marinade, but for just a few hours, you can use it as a baste on the grill. feedme Oh man, the taste makes ya wanna jump up and slap your auntie..... Reb Oh, this sauce can be used on any red meat also....

Archived