MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

a old post about grease

still survieving

#122052 - Wed Feb 28 2007 10:51 AM Re: Grease/Fat [Re: Mother]

Phatkat1956 Phatkat1956

Family Member

and it was never challenged

Loc: SC-PA

While grease in dehydrated meats is not good, old timers used it to "pot" meats for winter storage and it kept fine. Sausage would be cooked and layered into a crock with hot lard to cover it. When sausage was needed, it was dug out and the lard spread back over the area to keep the meat from coming into contact with air thus preserving the meat. This was only done in late fall thru the winter and was kept in a very cold place...almost like being refrigerated.

When we can sausage, we basically do the same thing. Layering the sausage, pork or beef in the jars and covering with the juices and grease from the pan. Then processed in the pressure cooker. As long as the seal is good, so is the meat. The grease then can be saved for soap making.

Phatkat =^..^= "Many things about tommorrow I don't need to understand, for I know who holds the future and I

I was one of those kids that had to go down celler and dig out the sausage during WW-2 and after til about 49.

The thing that interested me about the above post is the last paragraph

"When we can sausage, we basically do the same thing. Layering the sausage, pork or beef in the jars and covering with the juices and grease from the pan. Then processed in the pressure cooker. As long as the seal is good, so is the meat. The grease then can be saved for soap making."

now it is my understanding that all the grease should be left out of the jar. cover with broth or clear water..

SS, there is alot of bad information out on the net in regard to safe home canning practices.

Here at MrsS, historically, we have erred on the side of caution. I cannot in all good conscious, recommend an unsafe preservation practice that could harm someone's family.

I sure don't like being told I can't do things a certain way, but when I weigh the fact that my children's lives depend on me being wise in that preservation, the last thing I want to do is cause them to be sick or die.

It doesn't matter if 10 people did it safely. If one of those people were harmed because of documented, scientifically proven unsafe practices, we will just not advocate that as a safe preservation process.

Violet gave more specifics in the bacon grease thread you had started, as to some of the facts behind grease/fats etc, being warned against in home canning. Those facts apply to bacon fat, or any other fat, for that matter.

Everyone is responsible for their own decisions and choices, but you won't find us publically advocating something that carries such serious risks.

Archived