MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What to do when the freezer goes out...

Good article. One other point: What happens when you return to your house [in my case, after 3 wk evacuation] and wonder IF the power was off at any point during that time. And if it was off too long???????

Happened I had a box of ice cream in both freezers. I checked that. Ice cream does that nasty crystal thing if it melts & refreezes. Also it melts long before meat or most other things would go bad. So upon finding my icecream to be smooth & intact, I felt confident that my freezer had not been off for any dangerous amount of time.

BTW, as we evacuated and knowing the electric power might be cut, I bulked everything together. Tried to fill it up. Also draped blankets/sleeping bags over the chest freezer. BEING CAREFUL to NOT BLOCK THE AIR INTAKE TO THE MOTOR in any way!!!! Being in the basement, it would all be naturally cooler anyway. We took steaks and better cuts of the "1/8th of an Angus" we'd JUST put in there and hoped for the best. At least we came to our Evac hosts bearing gifts of meat.

MtRider [when there is any doubt -- better err on the side of caution.]

Archived