MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Storage of Brown Rice ???

Campy

Someone told me that brown rice does not store well for long term. What the person said was that brown shell/husk on the rice had fats/oils in it and would go rancid.

Any truth to this ?

What is the best way to store brown rice for long term storage ? For my white rice I just put it in a food safe bucket, drop in 1 or 2 oxygen absorbers and put a Gamma lid on it.

Yes, it's true.

Brown rice will store about 6 months "on the shelf" and maybe 1.5 years vacuum sealed. I don't know the exact figure on storing it in the freezer, but doing so will slow spoilage as well.

Converted rice is a compromise: less nutrition that brown, but more than white plus a self life of 1.5 years, I think. (Some one will tell me if I'm wrong! rofl )

Rice still in the hull is known as paddy rice and isn't usually found in the retail market. It will keep for years, but before you can eat it you have to get the hull off...

Brown rice doesn't keep well this is true. It's pretty much like what nmchick has said. About six months to maybe a year on the shelf (depends on the storage temperature) as is. Vac-sealed or packed with oxygen absorbers extends the shelf life to a couple of years, possibly longer if stored in a cool area. Freezing will keep it for years.

.....Alan.

Archived