MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

flu preps and prescriptions meds

michelle

Do we have a collected list of flu preps needed? I've looked over the $25 lists for flu preps and may try to make a collected list from them but was wondering if there was already one here that I missed. I keep seeing info for using Tamiflu for pandemic but thats prescription. How are people getting it? Where/how are you getting your other prescription meds for flu preps? Are you planning on using herbs for this? What/how much/etc? I need to work on my 'flu manual' and start picking up some more preps for this. I have bought some things like Airbornne (sp?) and some Mucinex, other flu med stuff OTC. I picked up a few brochures on pandemic flu at our health dept I need to look over. I want to work on my flu preps some more since I haven't really done this yet. Where is a good beginners guide to flu preps?

My husband works in the medical field, and he won't let us go near Tamiflu......because of the side effects and the fact that they are pushing it so hard.

I have not seen a comprehensive list. Tamiflu is an effective drug that can save lives. That being said it does have so side effects that should be know. Tamiflu is an antiviral drug. Mucinex is a mucalitic (sp). As for getting an RX of tamiflu alot of ppl simply talk with their family DR and ask to have a RX or more for the family if ppl should get the flu. Mucinex is something I do have always. Remember that when a person has the flu it is better to avoid dairy .

"Rare but serious skin reactions and allergic reactions have been reported. Stop taking TAMIFLU and call your doctor if you experience any of these reactions, as they could be potentially life threatening.

Some instances of self–injury and delirium with the use of TAMIFLU in patients with the flu have been reported

The reports were primarily among children (mostly in Japan)

The relationship of these reported events to TAMIFLU is not known.

Pediatric patients with the flu should be closely monitored for signs of abnormal behavior throughout the treatment period

The most common side effects of TAMIFLU are mild to moderate nausea and vomiting. TAMIFLU is generally well tolerated.

In addition, take the following precautions when using TAMIFLU:

You should not take TAMIFLU if you are allergic to oseltamivir phosphate or any other ingredients of TAMIFLU.

TAMIFLU is normally not recommended for use during pregnancy or nursing, as the effects on the unborn child or nursing infant are unknown. If you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant or breastfeeding while taking TAMIFLU, talk to your doctor before taking TAMIFLU.

If you have any type of kidney disease, talk to your doctor before starting TAMIFLU therapy.

The use of TAMIFLU along with an intranasal flu vaccine like FluMist®* has not been evaluated. However, due to the possibility for interference between these products, an intranasal flu vaccine should not be given within 2 weeks before or 48 hours after taking TAMIFLU, unless it is deemed appropriate by your doctor. The type of flu vaccine administered as a shot through the skin can be given at any time relative to use of TAMIFLU.

As with any medication, be sure to discuss with your doctor any over–the–counter or prescription medicines you are currently taking before beginning TAMIFLU therapy."---From www.tamiflu.com

Only because you mentioned Tamiflu...

Tamiflu tablets available without prescription push

http://tinyurl.com/5w34qa

A DRUG that can cut the severity of the flu by around 30 per cent could be made available without a prescription.

A committee is considering whether Tamiflu should be made available direct to the public without seeing a doctor.

The National Drugs and Poisons Scheduling Committee will consider arguments for making the drug available without a prescription when it meets in June.

But patients who want to use the medicine to treat influenza will have to pay $50 for a course of 10 tablets.

The drug, stockpiled to combat a possible bird flu outbreak, is not subsidised under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme.

The NDPS committee blocked an attempt to make Tamiflu available over the counter in 2005 because of fear it could lead to drug resistant flu strains.

Comment: These deliberations are taking place in Australia, if you didn't pick that up from the article. I wonder what has changed since '05 to make the NDPS change its mind about opening up Tami to the public?

Originally Posted By: brimichelle
I keep seeing info for using Tamiflu for pandemic but thats prescription. How are people getting it? Where/how are you getting your other prescription meds for flu preps? Are you planning on using herbs for this? What/how much/etc?

I'm can only speak for myself. I have 3 packs of Tamiflu. I received the prescription from two different doctors. You probably wouldn't do this and I hope no body else will judges me to harshly. Ashamed.jpg

I had a really bad cold, I went to my doctor and of course I looked like death warmed over. "I said to the doctor: "my kids have the flu, and my Pediatricain had prescibe Tamiflu for my kids. I told him I was throwing up and my legs arms and back were killing me. I also have fever and diarea. He gave me a prescription for Tamiflu...Then I called my pediatricain and told my peditricain on a Saturday.(She doesn't work Sat or Sunday) that I had the flu and both my kids have it. I told her my Doctor prescibed Tamiflu for me and it's working. She gave me two presciptions of Tamiflu, because I have two teens. Not very ethical but I have three boxes of tamiflu now.

I have heard of people just asking there doctors for a prescciption and have gotten the prescription with no problems but I've also heard doctors deny them, so I wasn't taking any chances.

3 boxes of Tamiflu/If my teen should need Tamiflu we will watch them every single minute. My husband and I will take shifts. The side effects can be life threatening but, It could save there lifes.

this is what I have for just flu.

Nyquil cold and flu/
Tylenol Extra Strenth
Moltrin
Excedrin
Ginger ale
Gaterade
Acephen Acetaminophen Suppositories (Fever/pain)
CHLORPROMAZINE - RECTAL SUPPOSITORY Nashea/vomiting
Heating pad
vicks rub and I put a vapor in cold mist humidifier
and vasaline. You rub the pain out of the legs, back and arms
tylenol cold and flu
Straws

My daughter had mild flu my husband had life threatening flu. Neither could hold down anything. The suppositories saved my husband.
He had 106 fever and couldn't stop vomiting. Both were greatful for the body rubs. The pain in there legs and back were awlful.
Fluids are the most important. My husband had to have and IV for fluids, my daughter learned from my husband and took small sips.

Good luck.

Archived