MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Tip for opening sealed jar lids

YYY

Hi Everybody,

I just want to pass on a tip for opening the sealed lids on canning jars. I’ve read about using the side of a spoon or eating utensil, but it never works for me. I’ve been using a Jar Pop aka Jar Key. They work a lot like the rounded end of a “church key” or “bottle opener”. Just hook onto the lid and GENTLY lift up. I’m stressing GENTLY because when Sweety uses it, he dents and/or bends up everything – LOL. When GENTLY used, the lid remains dent and bent free – so you can reuse the lid if you wish. Sometimes you’ll have to “walk” the Jar Pop around stubbornly stuck lids. I paid $3 to $4 for it. I love it. Another advantage is that they make store bought jar tops easier to open – that’s what it was created for. I am not connected to this company in any way - just a happy customer.

Jar Pop – Full view

http://www.cosyfeet.com/jar-pop-key-p-620.html

Jar Pop – Full View – with packaging

http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(2hpdjuv0...spx?SKU=6031702

Jar Pop – In Use

http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/jarpop-jar-opener/

Hope this helps someone,

YYY

It sounds like a useful tool, but I'd have to be absolutely desperate to re-use canning jar lids ("flats").

It's not a wise practice... and your family's health and all your hard work is at risk. frown

That said, if I get the lid off intact, I often re-use them for DRIED foods, or for something I pop into the refrigerator, with the ring. But not to re-can.

We love ya too much to let you do something unsafe! wink

bighug

Sometimes I don't judge very well how many jars and lids I'm going to need. I end up with a flat lid or two that have been soaking in the hot water but NOT actually used to seal a jar. Being rather skittish, I've discarded these lids because I'm afraid the soaking process has affected the sealing compound and I won't get a good seal if I try to use them during my next canning session.

Am I being overly-cautious and wasteful or will such lids still be safe to use?

Thanks, Ginny

As long as the seal hasn't been pushed onto the jar top, it should be fine. I just dry mine and use them later.

The seal stays together until screwed down.

bighug

Cat,

Sorry I wasn’t more clear. I reuse the undented and unbent lids for DRY storage. I have a FoodSaver that I bought for packaging meat. Well, I rarely use it for meat. But I use it a lot for sealing dry stuff in mason jars. I love this feature.

YYY

*WHEW*!!! I am SO relieved!!! thanks

We have to be very clear here because there are so many new canners. We want everybody safe and smart! wink

Thank you for clarifying that!!

bighug

Archived