MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Canned Butter that lasts for 3 years

Canned Butter

This is where Low-fat butter and Non-fat butter just don't measure up. Only real butter will can and store without separating into chemicals and water.

Ingredients and Instructions

1. Use only highest quality butter (Land O Lakes or equivalent).

2. Heat jelly jars in 250 F.-degree oven for 20 minutes, without rings or seals.

3. While jars heat, melt butter slowly until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.

4. Pour melted butter carefully into heated jars, being careful not to get any butter on rim of jar.

5. Add lid and ring and close securely. They will seal as they cool. Shake jars a few times during cooling to prevent separation, although this step is optional.

6. Put into refrigerator or other cool place until butter hardens. After hardening, butter will store for 3 years.

Guest Guest

Hoo-BOY! Does *this* bring up memories!!!

I really have to let everyone know that the USDA does NOT recommend canning milk products.

Although some people have tried it, and some people might be successful at it, it is not a safe product to can.

We went around and around with this during the months before 2000 rolled around.

Some tried making "ghee", but I never heard if that was successful.

For sure, DO NOT can butter. I did and it still sets on the shelf. I need to get rid of it. I am afraid to use it after hearing we shouldn't can it.

Old Pine has used some of the ghee and he said it was ok. I won't use it myself though. This is the way the scouts use to do so guess it might be ok.

I WILL NOT can butter or ghee again. Get a can of the dry butter and that lasts a long time. We got a can and we haven't opened it. So, you see, it has lasted a long time.

Better safe than sorry.