1 cup chopped celery

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1 (12 oz.) bottle chili sauce

1(6 oz.)tomato paste

2 to 3 tblsp. brown sugar

2 tblsp. worcestershire sauce

1/4 tsp.pepper

In large skillet, cook ground beef,onions,celery and bell pepper

over med. heat until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Drain. In 4 qt. slow cooker combine ground beef and remaining ingredients, mix well.Cover. cook on low setting 4 to 6 hours.

I have looked in my blue ball book and can find no reason why this cannot be canned. Does anyone have any comments about this recipe? tia.

Hey this looks good, I'd like to try this as well. I would want to double the batch and have some for dinner and can some for later.

How long should this be processed? 15 pounds of pressure and about 90 minutes?

I would look very carefully at the ingredients of the chili sauce you are using. Watch out for no-no ingredients (flour, cornstarch, dairy, etc.). Otherwise it looks good.

Or maybe you could can it without the chili sauce (since that's already bottled). Then add it when you heat it up...that would help give it a "fresher" flavor - sometimes things taste kind of flat to me when they've been pressure canned.

I doubled the recipe and added about a quart of water. It was to thick to can with out water or broth added.I now have 6 quarts in my canner happily jiggleing away. I will open one tonight for dinner, sure hope it tastes as good as it smells.

I did quarts at 10 lbs. pressure (on my weighted guage) for 90 minutes. I also checked my chili sauce ingredients there was no thickeners in it. I plan on canning more of this. My kids love it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have several quarts of sloppy joe filling jiggling away in my canner. I saved one quart for dinner tonight and the rest gets put away. smile

I added cayenne pepper for a little zing. This recipe is great, thanks for posting it.

Archived