MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can I cook frozen chicken in an electric pressure cooker?

I bought two 6 quart, electric pressure cookers...Not canners though. I bought them so I could speed the prep time for canning, so I am not up all hours of the night, day after day. I haven't used them yet. I have a bunch of frozen chicken breasts in the freezers.

Can I cook these chicken breasts in the pressure cookers, without defrosting them? I'm going to shred them, vacuum seal them, and put them back in the freezer. They are older than a year, so I thought I shouldn't can them. I'll just use them up fairly quickly.

Do I add liquid? I've never done anything in a pressure cooker, except can. The booklet that came with the cooker is useless. I have a friend that bakes, baking potatoes in hers. Anyone know how to do that? Is there a good site for learning to use a pressure cooker, with lots of recipes?

Thanks!!!! Catherine

My experience with cooking them frozen is that they seem to turn out more dry and rubbery.

Yes, add liquid. The best is some nice chicken boullion. The flavor goes through the meat and is really nice. Then you can freeze the broth, too. Makes really good chicken and dumplings or as a base for chicken pot pie, etc. I basically use broth to just about cover mine, but you don't have to use quite that much.

Let the pressure drop naturally when it is done. That keeps it more moist. It depends upon how large the pieces are how long I cook them. If just smaller pieces, I start with approx. 20 min.

They do cook faster than in a regular stockpot, of course.

I love my pressure cooker !

http://missvickie.com/

Also, I went online and got some used books for my daughter at Amazon.com.

Archived