MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Opins Good/Bad On Guardisil Vaccine

Jules

A nurse told me I have the option of bringing my daughter in at age 12 for the vaccine that prevents the virus that leads to cervical cancer.

(She's 10 now, I have plenty of time to make up my mind)

I don't know much about the effectiveness of the vaccine, but I'd like opinions both good and bad about the idea of giving this vaccine to my daughter.

Here are some questions:

1. Would you consider or have you had this given to your daughter?

2. Does this give girls the impression that it prevents STD's? Or pregnancy?

3. Does it give girls the impression that irresponsible sexual contact is ok and permissible?

4. What explanation should or could be given to girls who receive this vaccine?

5. Would you give your daughter this vaccine and NOT tell her what it's for? (At least until she is an adult)

What parent wouldn't want to prevent any type of cancer in their children, but would I be sending a mixed message with it?

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

1 If I had a daughter, she'd have it. I wouldn't wait for her late teens either. Rape can transmit the HPV, more easily than consensual sex, by a long shot, and is no respector of tender age.

2 Shouldn't.

3 I hope not.

4 Tell her it's a vaccine girls get. Period. If she needs to know more, it prevents certain kinds of warts. Which it does.

5 In a heartbeat.

• 13 years later...

I had my daughter vaccinated at age 12 (13 years ago).  This study just came out:  www.bbc.com/news/health-59148620

Science for the win.  

The human papillomavirus, or HPV, vaccine is cutting cases of cervical cancer by nearly 90%, the first real-world data shows.

Cancer Research UK described the findings as "historic", and said it showed the vaccine was saving lives.

Nearly all cervical cancers are caused by viruses, and the hope is vaccination could almost eliminate the disease.

The researchers said the success meant those who were vaccinated may need far fewer cervical smear tests too.

Cervical cancer is the fourth most common cancer in women around the world, killing more than 300,000 each year.

Almost nine-in-10 deaths are in low and middle income countries where there is little access to cervical cancer screening. The hope is vaccination will have an even bigger impact in those countries than wealthier nations such as the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1