MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

looking for an updated ball blue book

waveHi everyone. Wanted to find out if anyone can tell me what stores to find the new updated Ball Blue Book for canning is sold? I have been to our 2 Wal-mart stores here in Central LA., but can't find one. I have been adding extra minutes to my canning time, was told the jiggling time had been changed to extra minutes. So I added an extra 10 minutes for every canner of beans I have done. But I would like to get the updated version. Thanks in advance.

Here you do get them at Walmart. I know the LA area can be lacking in things for canning, as my friend lived there. It was nearly impossible for her to find what she wanted. You can always order online. It should be about $6.

The newest Ball Blue Book is from 2006, I believe.

You can use this site and find all the current methods and times,other than perhaps one exception :http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/how/can_home.html

This is the newest exception I was talking about:

First, research done at the University of Georgia for the US Department of Agriculture has shown that to be safe, holding times at the end of the canning process need to be lengthened. More specifically, they used to recommend that after the food had been processed in a boiling water bath for the correct amount of time, the jars should be lifted out without waiting. Now they recommend, “When the jars have been processed in boiling water for the recommended time, turn off the heat and remove the canner lid. Wait 5 minutes before removing jars.” For pressure canning, the recommended holding time was two minutes. Now the recommendation is to wait ten minutes.

Here is the specific instruction: “After the canner is completely depressurized, remove the weight from the vent port or open the petcock. Wait 10 minutes; then unfasten the lid and remove it carefully. Lift the lid with the underside away from you so that the steam coming out of the canner does not burn your face.”

Archived