MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dried Corn, Lime, advice?

Hi, everyone. I am trying to figure out how I am going to use fifty pounds of dried corn I bought, before I buy anymore to store. I boiled some in a posole (a kind of red chile stew) but even after soaking it overnight and cooking it five hours the corn was chewy and some of the hulls were like eating popcorn hulls.

So I went back to the little Mexican grocery where I bought the corn and told them, and they sold me what they called "lime," (a powdered grayish stuff) saying that if I boiled the corn in that it would soften it. Make hominy, I think. But they could not tell me the proportions of lime and water to corn to use, so I have not done it yet. Has anyone else here cooked dried corn by boiling it in lime and water? Any pointers would be appreciated!

It's so much more expensive to buy the corn already treated this way, that I am really hoping to be able to do my own. Also, I am wondering if after the corn is treate din lime, if you then roast or dehydrate it in order to preserve it? I am trying to get by without my freezer as much as possible.

My family and I love posole so much that we'd hardly notice the world ending if we had that to eat. :*)

best wishes to you all!

I think I have the link that will help directly w/ your question.

I was also trying to find out what these proportions were (corn/lime)to make corn masa for tortillas, tamales, ect. That powdered stuff that they try to pass off as dehydrated corn tortilla mix at the market just will not cut it for me!

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/masa.htm

Masa (Dough for tortillas and tamales)

Masa in Mexican means "dough". The masa is made from field corn, called maiz blanco or "cacahuazintle" [kaw-kaw-WAH-SEEN-til] which was dried, treated with a lime water solution, then ground. This page will describe the process of making masa. The masa can then be used for corn tortillas or for tamales.

The slaked corn (Nixtamal) can be used for making pozole (hominy).

Makes: 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 pounds

i n g r e d i e n t s

1 1/2 pounds (1 quart) dried white field corn

2 tablespoons "cal" slaked lime

d i r e c t i o n s

Clean the corn

Place the corn in a colander and rinse under cold water.

corncolander.jpg (14729 bytes)

Prepare the lime mixture

Add 2 quarts of water to a large (at least 4 quart) noncorrosive pan. Place the pan over high heat and add the lime (cal) and stir until it is dissolved.

cal.jpg (11809 bytes)

slaked lime (cal)

Boil the corn

Add the corn into the lime water, stirring gently. Use a slotted spoon and remove any kernels that float to the top of the water. Allow the water to boil then reduce the heat to a simmer. If you are making the dough for tortillas, allow to boil 2 minutes. If you are making tamale dough simmer for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and allow the corn to soak. For tortilla dough allow to soak, covered, overnight. For tamale dough, allow to soak for an hour.

Wash the corn

This step is very important. If you don't rinse and clean the corn properly your dough will be yellow and taste like lime.

Pour the corn into a colander and place it under cold running water. Use both your hands and rub the corn between your hands to loosen any hulls still attached to the corn.

Washing the slaked corn

Continue until the corn is all white (except the tips). Drain the corn well. This cleaned, prepared corn is what is called "Nixtamal" or "Nixtamalado".

Close-up of damp, cleaned field corn for masa

nixtamal - cleaned, damp corn

Pictured above you can see the little brown "heads" left on the corn. If you are making Pozole and you want the kernels to open (flower) then you need to "de-head" the kernals. De-heading simply means to pick off those little tips. This rather time-consuming step is optional and does not affect the flavor of the pozole, just the appearance.

Grind the corn for tortilla dough

grindcorn.jpg (17590 bytes)

Metate y Mano

The traditional tool for grinding the nixtamal is the metate y mano. If you are an adventurous cook and don't mind a good work out then you'll enjoy using the metate. Depending on the size of your metate, place a handful or two of corn on the top surface. Use downward pressure on the mano and roll across the corn (like a rolling pin). Continue until the corn becomes finely pulverized. Repeat until all the corn has been ground.

Plate-Style Corn Mill (Molino)

While this is less labor intensive than the metate the corn mill (see photo) requires significant effort. Use the corn mill fitted with a stone plate. The stone plate, rather than a metal plate will produce the smoothest textured dough. Place the corn in the hopper and grind it through using the finest setting. The resulting mixture should be smooth and not gritty.

Once the corn is all ground add approximate 2/3 to 3/4 cup of water to the corn and mix to form medium-soft dough.

Food Processor

You can use your food processor to prepare the dough for tamales but it does not get quite fine enough for tortilla dough. Grind the corn in small batches, pulsing the corn 5 or 6 times. Then let the processor run continuously until the corn is the proper consistency (see next paragraph).

Grind the corn for tamale dough

Spread the drained corn onto a towel and pat dry with another towel. Use either of the tools described above and grind the dried corn. If you are using the plate-style grinder, use the medium or medium-fine setting. The ground corn should be a consistency of damp hominy grits. Add approximately 2/3 cups water to form a stiff dough

thanks, crabgrass acres!

I read the thread you sent and it helped, and also checked my copy of Carla Emery's book, as someone on the thread suggested, and found it there!

Thanks so much, Jeanette. This does help a lot.

I am printing it all out. I have made my own tamales, especially at Christmastime, but I never even thought of making my own masa!

I don't have a grinder, or a mano/metate, but am thinking of getting one.

Have you ever had or made sweet tamales? I ate them when I lived in South America, but have never eaten or made them here. I do have some recipes for them in my NM/AZ cookbooks, though...

whenever I mention sweet tamales to my husband he makes a face! we'll see what happens when he tastes one! :*)

Archived