MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Pandemic prep at Ocean State Job Lots

Tracie

I just was at Ocean State Job Lots and they had these kits from Nexcare (3M), a "Health Preparedness Go-Pack" for $3 each.

they contain: 1 bottle of 4 oz hand sanitizing gel (exp July 2008)

1 pack 15 hand sanitizing wipes (exp Aug 2008)

4 disposable thermometers (expire May 2011)

6 earloop face masks with wire on top to help mold it to your nose

2 vinyl gloves

an info sheet from the CDC

all in a great, clear zippered pouch.

So, does alcohol based hand sanitizer *really* go bad?

what about those wipes?

Even if they do, I feel I got a good deal, and I can use the little bags to store the homeopathic drugs and whatever else I can fit in there.

They also had 4-packs of single use thermometers for $0.50 and 3-packs of the masks for $0.50.

I bought more thermometers. I may go buy more masks.

My sister asked her doctor about something to use in an emergency for wound cleaning. He said use Purell, good as betadine or anything else. She told him she had some old container that had gone to liquid. Said it is still good, really doesn't go bad.

Its because of the alcohol content. A glug of whiskey or brandy will clean a wound too. Age old remedy for an antiseptic! if you dont have sterile needle and thread to stitch up a wound and cant boil it, use whiskey to soak it in for at least 8 mins while you clean the wound.

Another thing, for infection like on the foot from a gash gone bad, you can put maggots in the wound, wrap clean gauze around it loosely and the maggots will eat all the bad stuff, naturally debride it down to good flesh and then you can make sure they all fly away and dress it and wrap it for healing. Its one of the easiest ways to debride bad tissue, and is making a comeback in some rather westernized medical practices. Sounds gross, but it works well.

Archived