MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Rose petal wine

This afternoon a friend came by with a large bag of roses. Various kinds, some quite fragrant.

The bulk of the petals has been boiled with a gallon of water and 3# of sugar and will be left for 24 hours to get all the goodness of the rose in the liquid. I've put a teabag in there for about half an hour for a bit of a kick.

Meanwhile there's a starter with yeast on the brew in the kitchen.

I don't drink but the boys here just lurv our homemade guaranteed-no-headache-wine so it's always in demand.

A small part of the petals was boiled and strained. Vodka added and keep wellin the fridge for a month or so.

Nice "rosewater" for rubbing tired feet and general skincare.

Meanwhile the house smells fantastic.

We didn't manage to get good wine-yeast. DS bought some tablets at the Chinese shop in town but they do... nothing. Since the car broke down I can't get to Amsterdam or Utrecht to the shops where they sell good wine-yeast.

So tomorrow I'll get a few leaves of jelly and make jam.

rosejam should be nice too.

• 4 weeks later...

Hhahhaha. You bring back happy memories. Mom used to drag us little ones out into the briar patch to pick pettles so she could make wine. I remember the mosquitoes about ate us alive...all so Dad could drink the wine before it was ready. I don't think I ever tasted it. I was too young.

Archived