MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Food saver ?

Kelly

I took a chance today and paid $4.98 for a foodsaver Vac 750 at the thrift store. No instruction book but it does have some directions on the top. Can I try a sandwich bag in it just to see if it works? And also does anyone know if other brands of the bags will work in this foodsaver or will they have to be foodsaver brand bags? Thanks for any help.

If they fit in the molding space provided, they will work.

Yes you can test with a sandwich bag, although the safe storage time may have to be estimated. It will provide a good test of the vacuum/sealing capabilities of the unit you bought. If it sucks the air out, the vacuum pump is working, if it melts the plastic together, then the sealing strip is working.

2+2= you have a working unit.

I think the sandwich bag may make a mess. There are a couple of sellers on ebay who will send a sample set of bags for $1.00 so you could test cheaply.

They don't have to be foodsaver brand bags.

:-)

Ok I plugged this in and it makes NO noise until up push the "ON" button then the sound stps as soon as you let up on the button. Does yours make no running sound or is this broke?

I have an older one (as well as a newer one). On the older one, it *only* works when you're holding down the button. If you let go of the button, it turns off. There's no running sound if you're not pressing the button.

It will run for a bit, until it's decided that either the item is vacuum sealed or you're not trying to vacuum anything. then it seals. I think there may also be a slight delay while it's warming up the sealer strip.

• 2 months later...

Thank you so much for that link PoGo. I was needing a food saver manual!! Kelly you might try lightly holding down on the lid corners for few seconds after you hit start button. My 1050 didn't seem to want to vacuum either but after I did that it sort of clicked like the locks weren't fully catching and then began to vacuum and worked like a charm.

Archived