MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Can I can Chimichurri?

SugarDaisy

I love that stuff and Im wondering if I can put some up while all the herbs are fresh (and cheaper). Its got vinegar in it, so Im thinking I can, but its got olive oil and thats what Im not sure about. I would be willing to up the vinegar content to make it safer.

For those of you unfamiliar with chimichurri, here is a recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chimichurri-Sauce/Detail.aspx

Allrecipes.com

Chimichurri Sauce

Submitted by: COOKINCOWGIRLS

Prep Time: 10 Minutes

Ready In: 10 Minutes

Yields: 12 servings

"This famous Argentinean sauce is perfect for any grilled foods. My catering customers love this sauce on garlic crostini with grilled flank steak slices."

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup fresh parsley

3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

3 tablespoons red wine vinegar

2 tablespoons dried oregano

2 teaspoons ground cumin

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 tablespoon minced garlic

1/2 tablespoon pepper sauce, such as

Franks® Red Hot® or Tabasco™

DIRECTIONS:

1. Place the parsley, olive oil, red wine vinegar, oregano, cumin, salt, garlic and hot pepper sauce into the container of a blender or food processor. Blend for about 10 seconds on medium speed, or until ingredients are evenly blended.

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2008 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 8/18/2008

SugarDaisy, This recipe sounds like something I would make a mix out of.

Dry your herbs, make up the recipe with dried ingredients and seal in a food saver bag. Add wet ingredients, (oil and hot sauce) when you want to make a batch.

Sorry, I don't know of any safe way to can this. It is a cooking recipe, not designed for canning. Freezing it would work.

It may turn dark, but the flavor would be fine. I know many folks freeze pesto, which would be similar. Pesto also must be frozen.

Archived