MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Mmmm ... pizza

I have been on a mission to make a more flavorful pizza dough for a while now. While we always like the pizza, no matter how I've made the dough, I feel like something has been lacking. I made pizza again tonight, and I think I've found the missing ingredients---rye flour and cornmeal (be sure to use the fine, not coarse cornmeal, so it won't be too gritty). I added just a couple tablespoons of each for two pizzas, and the flavor was so much better. I think the rye flour made the biggest difference. For me, the dough is just as important as, or more important than, the toppings, so I'm really excited to have this breakthrough.

I soaked the cornmeal in some of the liquid for the pizza dough before mixing the dough, as I really, really, really don't like crunchy cornmeal.

I always add some garlic powder and dried oregano to my plain white pizza dough... even if I use an "Appian Way" mix. yumyum

I've heard that Papa John's uses a mild sourdough in their dough, but I don't know if it's true.

bighug

One of my best friends is opening a pizza place. her husband makes the most amazing dough. It's got 10% whole wheat flour in it for body. His dough actually takes about 24 hours to rise and ferment before it's ready to use, He starts with some sort of starter (a bit of yeast, flour, sugar and water) that sits overnight, then the rest of the ingredients are added (I think flour and olive oil), then it sits for another 6 hours or so. I think the starter is called poulish or something like that.

Yes, I've been reading about using a poolish, also. I've also experimented with making the pizza dough a day or two before I wnat to use it and placing it in the refrigerator immediately after mixing it for a cold rise. That does seem to develop the flavor more, also. I didn't do that with my last pizza making, because I wanted to have the pizza right away that night, but I plan to do that next time to see if it improves the flavor even more.

Archived